Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery II "owner"; engine swap-out advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

wow, thanks for the long and thoughtful response -- from a mobile device no less! I'll have to process all of your suggestions.

Washed I think means the same as a cleaned cylinder.

We have only run the vehicle for two (2) 30 second cycles and was focused on not missing the ramps on the trailer, so we'll have to start it again and listen for the tapping.

Wouldn't it be great if the problem were only a head gasket.

And is the water pump on these things external or are they hidden behind/driven by the cam belt/chain as on some cars (like our 1997 Dodge Caravan)? I would guess Land Rovers would have chains and not belts (a chain driven cam or push rods is one of the criteria I have for buying a car -- even my Honda Insight "space bean" has a chain driven cam -- for all 3 cylinders and 1,000 cc's of it).

Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You've got the 2004 HSE, which translates to the Top Dog of Discos. You've got the Upgraded Stereo, GPS, more wood, etc... It's definitely worth putting that beauty back together.

Although, parting out, you will likely make more money if you have the patience and ability.

I'm crossing my fingers it's just head gaskets. Even if you had a reputable Rover shop do the work, you are only looking at $1500. Pretty good deal for an '04 HSE.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

In reviewing all the mechanic invoices on this D2, here's some more info from his invoice:

Mileage 123,553

Holding pressure and temp. Staying constant in shop radiator Radiator flow appears to be OK.

Next step: remove plugs and check for washed piston. Need to drive and monitor coolant temp with scanner for 2 to 3 hours.

Number 4 cylinder washed out
The sleeve in CYL 4 is INOP
The engine sensor doesn't work until hot will need to be replaced
engine temp stayed constant 98 to 102 CEL
Coolant is rising in the reservior when hot = sytem is overpressurizing

BTW, this mechanic also charged our friend $15 for a gallon of fuel that I guess was consumed during all the testing!

In all he charged $400+ just for the diagnosis, i.e., no parts, nothing fixed. And I am guessing that for 4 hours of labor all in (1 on cooling test, 3 to drive and check it?), he didn't pull the heads.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts
Default True

Originally Posted by Jared9220
What about things like SAI? If your current ECU is setup for SAI you can not simply install an engine without SAI and expect there not to be problems.
I should have specified that, yes it has to be SAI equipped. I have only seen SAI D2s here in CA, but I know they exist. My mistake.

So, I can say that without a shadow of a doubt: An SAI equipped 4.0 can be directly swapped into a 4.6 SAI equipped vehicle with no modifications.

Last edited by abran; 06-20-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I'll bite: what's SAI? supplemental air injection?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Baja

Secondary, its an emissions thing

Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling

figures we had to get a CA car (came from SD). How can I be sure it has an SAI?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Baja
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I will chime in here as well - see lots of used Rangie's on Craigslist for between 2 and 3 grand with relatively low miles - find a wrecked one and you get it even cheaper with a 4.6. RR owners tend to be even wealthier than Disco owners and have all service done at the dealer - so good chance you will find a well cared for you.

My daughters 00 Disco made it to 184k before the big head gasket blow - and I am still not sure it isn't repairable.

If I were you and you want a project with a good result I would put a chevy motor in it - there is one project on a LSX swap in this forum and a good one ongoing in the Defender forum. For an easy swap just find a good running wreck and swap them -easy peasy but you will eventually face the demon of a poorly designed cylinder/head interface.

Good luck

Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by austinlandroverbill
wow, thanks for the long and thoughtful response -- from a mobile device no less! I'll have to process all of your suggestions.

Washed I think means the same as a cleaned cylinder.

We have only run the vehicle for two (2) 30 second cycles and was focused on not missing the ramps on the trailer, so we'll have to start it again and listen for the tapping.

Wouldn't it be great if the problem were only a head gasket.

And is the water pump on these things external or are they hidden behind/driven by the cam belt/chain as on some cars (like our 1997 Dodge Caravan)? I would guess Land Rovers would have chains and not belts (a chain driven cam or push rods is one of the criteria I have for buying a car -- even my Honda Insight "space bean" has a chain driven cam -- for all 3 cylinders and 1,000 cc's of it).
I've replaced my water pump and for some reason I can't remember the specifics. But I do recall that it is not a big deal to replace, and not behind the front cover or timing chain (it is a chain, not a belt...) . It has a separate gasket from the front cover's. I'm pretty sure I replaced mine after just removing the fan shroud, fan, and serpentine belt... and a couple of the pulleys... and that my poor back needed a massage after I was done.

Quick Reply: New Discovery II "owner"; engine swap-out advice