Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Discovery Owner with Questions

Hello all, new member here. Have some questions I am sure you guru's can answer.

Purchased a 2002 Discovery II today with 103,000 for $1800 at auction, which included tax, tag, and the title fees for it. Of course at auction you don't get to look them over very well so I basically had to make a decision on the fly. I was able to get it jumped an get it home, and here is the issues I am finding.

List of what I will do tomorrow:
1. Change oil and filter
2. Change transmission fluid
3. Change spark plugs/wires
4. Flush/fill radiator.
5. If I am not too beat up after all of the above, I will look at the brakes because they felt a tad spongy on my drive home.

Exterior: needs a new front bumper (This will be the last thing on my list to fix)

Interior: (What I need help with) the widows (None of them) goes up or down. The drivers and passenger seats does not move at all in either directions. The sunroof does not open or close.

What is the first thing I should be checking?

I looked under the passenger seat and I see a fuse box with two 3A fuses and one 40A fuse. Under the drivers seat there is a fuse box with just two 3A fuses in it. I have no idea what to look at for the sunroof. I am thinking it is something more than just fuses but thought I would get the opinion of those more experienced before I run off half cocked checking everything under the sun.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide that will get me started in the correct direction.

Kat

Attached Thumbnails New Discovery Owner with Questions-disco.png  
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

First of all, inspect the sunroof glass very well for adhesive/ glue/ sealant, as there may have been water leaking there and someone permanently sealed them closed and opening again may cause more unwanted problems. Second, drain off just a tad bit of transmission fluid, preferably from the FILL plug and not the drain plug. If the fluid is still red and clear, don't bother changing it. This also can create more problems than you originally had, especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Where on earth would you get a notion like that from? The stuff on my to do list for tomorrow, I can do in my sleep. I have been wrenching on cars since I was 12. Don't let me being a girl fool ya! After looking at the other fluids in the car, I would be very surprised if the trans fluid didn't need changing. Either way, that's not the part I need help with.

What I need help with is to why all four windows has no power going to them, why the drivers and passenger seat has no power going to them, and trust me I am aware of the issues with sunroofs in Disco's and it is not sealed. It has no power going to it.

I downloaded several manuals for this car, and I have a lot of reading to do, just wanted a starting point with regards to the components mentioned above.

Kat

Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree - if it looks dark (which it likely will), change the trans fluid.

You checked the fuses? I know that's a bit obvious, but the seat controls especially will blow fuses when their controls are unplugged. So someone might have pulled the control panels to clean them for the sale and blew the fuses.

I'd say next step is pull the connectors to the windows, sunroof, and seat motors and use a multimeter or test light to check whether they are getting power when the switch is activated.

Have you checked the front driveshaft? That is literally the first thing you should do. They are known for coming apart and tearing a hole in the transmission. If it doesn't have a grease fitting to lube the u-joints, it has the original u-joints and needs to be rebuilt yesterday. Be sure to change the centering ball. They can't be lubed, tend to fail and take out the u-joints. And for the record, I've rebuilt several driveshafts and these are a PITA.

This forum is full of folks who seriously work on their trucks, so let us know how things develop. Don't be worried about discrimination because you're a gal. This forum is generally pretty accepting of folks unless they want to lower their truck and put huge rims on it. In that instance, they are generally berated until they leave.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 10-24-2015 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gadiscogirl (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gadiscogirl
Where on earth would you get a notion like that from? The stuff on my to do list for tomorrow, I can do in my sleep. I have been wrenching on cars since I was 12. Don't let me being a girl fool ya! After looking at the other fluids in the car, I would be very surprised if the trans fluid didn't need changing. Either way, that's not the part I need help with.

What I need help with is to why all four windows has no power going to them, why the drivers and passenger seat has no power going to them, and trust me I am aware of the issues with sunroofs in Disco's and it is not sealed. It has no power going to it.

I downloaded several manuals for this car, and I have a lot of reading to do, just wanted a starting point with regards to the components mentioned above.

Kat
I reread your initial post, assuming of course I'd find something that hinted at your experience level thus causing you to bite chubbs head off. Nadda. Try not to come in swinging...I would have given the same sound recommendations based off the info you provided, and while I've been turning wrenches for a spell, that didn't make me a disco expert and I've learned a lot from these guys....er "people".😇

The following users liked this post:
chubbs878 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Dan7
I reread your initial post, assuming of course I'd find something that hinted at your experience level thus causing you to bite chubbs head off. Nadda. Try not to come in swinging...I would have given the same sound recommendations based off the info you provided, and while I've been turning wrenches for a spell, that didn't make me a disco expert and I've learned a lot from these guys....er "people".😇
The same way you read my 2nd post and felt I came out swinging and bit Chubbs head off (Which I didn't by the way IMO), I read Chubbs post and felt insulted because of the comment he made "especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing" Not sure what he read in my post to lead him to think that, but I was simply letting him know that under the hood - I got it!

I asked for guidance with the windows, seats and sunroof appearing to not have power going to them. That I will admit I have little experience with, and Dr. Mordo was kind enough to give me at least a place to start with that, but as far as the stuff on my to do list for today, it is 90% completed and although I may not be an expert at Land Rovers, the stuff I had to do today was pretty simple and straight forward to accomplish.

FYI: That trans fluid was muddy, and should have been changed eons ago!

Kat

Old 10-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I didn't even say that because she is a woman. I said it because I serviced my trans per disco mikes plan and it hasn't worked the same since. I followed all the guidelines in rave and tips recommended by those more experienced. After problems arose I did some more reading and found dozens of posts in regards to changing ATF and ending up with more problems. I don't think it's anything too serious, but I'm having to seek advice of trans pros, research for weeks on the web trying to find the plan of attack. Please see my thread if you come across a similar issue, as I update mine regularly with what I am doing, what works, doesn't work and so on & so forth. If the fluid looks good and smells good then don't change it...to those whom it concerns.

I would rather hear the "what I wouldn't do's" first, and the "how to make your seat move" later. But I'm just one of those people that will go diving in head-first so that advice works better for me. this whole thing reminds me of that new Progressive commercial; "where is your husband?!"

Last edited by chubbs878; 10-25-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I changed the transmission filter/fluid/gasket on my 02 D2 with 160K and had zero issues and from the way things looked I'm almost certain that filter has been in there for a very very long time. Maybe not the original unit, but darn close. Topped of the transmission fluid, and it shifts great with no issues. The issues start when people do a complete flush like say at Jiffy Lube on an older transmission.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi. Welcome.

Drive shaft, temperatures and fluids would be my first things to check with a cheap auction purchase.

I wouldn't actually be too concerned with fancy gadgets like the electric sunroof and Windows right now.

Have a peek at the sticky at the top about high mileage service. It's got tons of great starting points. I did the whole list on my 04, and after spending quite a lot on the bits needed, it has been barely any trouble in 2 years.

Plug wires a complete bi**h on this car. Do a bit of reading, it's not like it's difficult. Just awkward and time consuming.

Oh, for what it's worth, Chubbs was fair I think. You said you didn't know about a few things, he just repeated that. Also, lots of people come here with very little mechanical experience. They've bought a car with no idea what they are getting into. He was polite and helpful. And I agree, you didn't bite either. Nothing to see here.

Wait till the fur really starts flying....., nah, doesn't happen. Kidding.

Anyway, enjoy.

Last edited by cappedup; 10-25-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Overlanding

Great info reading on here so far, and I have tons more to do. I did get everything completed today with ease, but I still want to go over the brake system as it did not feel right at all when I drove it home. I guess I will tackle that next weekend, along with checking the driveshaft as suggested above.

As for not worrying about fancy gadgets like the "windows & sunroof" right now, try driving in a climate where it is too hot for the heater to be on, and too cool for the A/C to be on. I need the windows to come down as driving with them up with the temps we have been having lately is very uncomfortable, not to mention very stuffy. The sunroof to be honest I will probably never use, and if I never get it working I really wouldn't care, but I am 5'7 and the drivers seat is too close to the steering wheel for me to be truly comfortable when driving, and the passenger seat is all the way up in the forward position where no one can even sit in it, so these two things is really something I need to dive into.

As for all the chatter about who said what, and the manner in which it was said, how about we chalk it up to a misunderstanding and we all move on from that bit.

I downloaded the owners manual, as well as RAVE and I have much reading to do this week, but hopefully by the time I get the Disco back to the shop and on the lift next Sunday I will have a better understanding of this vehicle and it's components.

Kat

Quick Reply: New Discovery Owner with Questions