Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Group and... help!! (In LA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:56 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Group and... help!! (In LA)

UPDATE: My High/Low issue is well covered in the thread - "Transfercase or Transferbox High/Low shift issues" (It's the Solenoid)
Much appreciate any further recommendations on good LR D2 Mechanics in LA area.

Original Post:

Get your jokes out now about having a Disco II in Los Angles. I have a boring car too for my city life.

Any tips on good Land Rover service for 2001 D-II models like mine in the LA area? I'm striking out.

Really enjoying reading everyone's post. And saw a few regarding my problem - shifting into Low Range. Hope you don't mind revisiting with a few additional notes in here that the other posts/responses didn't seem to address. Here it goes -

Had a blast in the snow yesterday but... once again, I wrestle for 20+ minutes trying to shift into Low Range without any luck.

Then, after I go snowshoeing - I try again and Viola! It shifts into Low and I have a blast on the uncleared snow covered roads. That's when I get the lightbulb moment - I ONLY have real trouble getting into LOW when I've been driving for an hour or more. I often throughout the year, shift into LOW once a month just to keep it lubricated since I mostly use Low range in the winter. And when I do successfully shift into Low, I've been driving for a short while to keep everything lubed and the battery charged.

Any trick combos out there other than what the user manual says to do? By the way - not always easy to maintain 0-5mph unless on a slight downhill.

And - for most off-road/ snowy roads, isn't shifting the transmission to a lower gear while in Hi range 99% as good since it's AWD already? Thoughts?

Thank you! I see a lot of older model Land Rovers out here in LA. Somebody's got to have good mechanic recommendations.

Brian
(Adding a Pic from Snowshoeing Yesterday - Couldn't have got here without the Disco II)

Last edited by Brian's '02 Disco 2; 12-26-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Updated with Solve
Old 12-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can get to Abran at CARRS4X4 in Huntington Beach, he is a great mechanic with fair prices. He knows D2"s extremely well. I just had him install an 04 t-case & shifter for me. He also has designed a few upgraded parts for the D2.

The following users liked this post:
Brian's '02 Disco 2 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Bignacio. I'll definitely check out Cars 4X4 in Huntington Beach. Worth the trip for a good mechanic, I'm shocked how many in my area just scratch their heads at my Discovery II. I see so many on the road I figure somebody's gotta be working on 'em.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:56 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Make sure you look for Carrs -- with two R's.
carrs4x4.com

The following users liked this post:
Brian's '02 Disco 2 (12-26-2019)