Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional Difficulty Shifting from High Range to Low Range

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Difficulty Shifting from High Range to Low Range

Hello,

My transfer case is having some odd behavior, and I'm wondering/hoping that someone else has encountered the same issue.

When I first hop in the truck, or after it's been sitting for 10-20 minutes, I can easily shift from high range to low range. The effort required is about the same weather I'm at a stop or slowly rolling.

On the other hand, if the truck has been rolling for a while it can be very difficult, nearly impossible, to shift to low range. If I shake the lever, roll back and forth, and generally fiddle with the lever it will usually pop into low range with slightly more force than is generally required.

Once engaged it seems to go in and out of gear just fine for the duration of a trail ride. It's really just a hassle when I first arrive at the trail head or after cruising easy forest roads in high-range between trails.

I recently changed the fluid and the problem remains.

I'm thinking something is seizing when it gets hot or that there is some issue with the driveline being under excess tension after lengthly driving. I could be wrong on both accounts.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you gotta lube the linkage. get a flashlight and peer up above the t-case and you will see the shifter linkage and cable. you gotta lube that linkage. wd-40 will work but it will cook off after a few weeks as A LOT of heat hits it with the exhaust being so close. a good coating of heavy duty chain wax works well for months. if you can get at it with a good grease that might be best. i just give it a shot of chain wax every 3 months when i am doing general futsing around like tightening bolts, cleaning, checking for things in need of attention etc.

also only shift into low on gravel,sand, etc. dont do it on pavement as it can mess up the driveline. cheers!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
also only shift into low on gravel,sand, etc. dont do it on pavement as it can mess up the driveline. cheers!
I think you are thinking about the differential lock (if equipped). Low gear can be selected on pavement, if what you are trying to pull necessitates it. You just cannot go very fast when in low range.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I think you are thinking about the differential lock (if equipped). Low gear can be selected on pavement, if what you are trying to pull necessitates it. You just cannot go very fast when in low range.

i know what i was thinking even though i didnt say it right

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

That's what I thought you were thinking, I think.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
That's what I thought you were thinking, I think.

now im not so sure

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
4wd Low

An update. Someone suggested that I try applying fresh grease to my propellor/slip shafts. I'm going to give that a shot this weekend and will report the results.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
4wd Low

A long overdue update. I completely lubed the entire drive-line (u-joints and propellor shafts). Shifting the transfer case is much smoother now. I've also taken to regularly lubricating the linkage - thanks for the reminder Sloppyjoe!