Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

It is a good question regarding the value, particularly given the miles. That truck is being sold by Will Tillerey, so the work is likely legit and I personally think he is not asking enough for it, but the mileage is a bit high. It is a good price to get in to a Disco at a reasonable price. Lower mile trucks with similar work are worth in excess of $6k.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
It is a good question regarding the value, particularly given the miles. That truck is being sold by Will Tillerey, so the work is likely legit and I personally think he is not asking enough for it, but the mileage is a bit high. It is a good price to get in to a Disco at a reasonable price. Lower mile trucks with similar work are worth in excess of $6k.
Well it sold already haha just checked

Old 03-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

It all depends on how you want to use the truck and the value of your time.

If you just have to have an older Discovery and you want to drive it often in some comfort and value your time, you'll have to cough up some cash. Good specimen are hard to find. Ditto if you want to restore and have a Land Rover for fun. You'll be looking for something with a good frame, no accidents, etc. Those cars are getting hard to find.

A junk yard special for a demolition derby is probably $500 or $1000 tops if you want it to last a few rounds.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. choodles
It all depends on how you want to use the truck and the value of your time.

If you just have to have an older Discovery and you want to drive it often in some comfort and value your time, you'll have to cough up some cash. Good specimen are hard to find. Ditto if you want to restore and have a Land Rover for fun. You'll be looking for something with a good frame, no accidents, etc. Those cars are getting hard to find.

A junk yard special for a demolition derby is probably $500 or $1000 tops if you want it to last a few rounds.

I suppose I'm just looking for something to play with and drive around in, won't be my main vehicle cause I have a nice sedan I just need something that covers the bases my sedan can't do haha like carry my two big dogs, grab a errand from Lowe's, take it out in the snow instead of my nice sedan. I dont really go offroading but I do like the design of the discovery. I'm weak at mechanical side of things but I'm not afraid to learn.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

So long as you don't let the disco sit for too long in between trips it sounds like just what you are looking for. The mechanicals on these are not difficult with very few specialty tools required. Just like any project once you do something once that learning curve should disappear the next time (ie doing brakes on the first corner is always the longest on a new vehicle barring anything catastrophic down the line).

Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

As long as you drive it will be happy, mine will sit for a week to 10 days sometimes, if you have those kind of long down periods get an on board battery maintainer/charger. There are a lot of little draws that will draw down your battery

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (03-31-2020)