Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here. Obsessed with Disco ll. help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new here. Obsessed with Disco ll. help

2000 Land Rover Disco ll. 150,000 miles. green. Oregon. selling for 3000
Now, i know they have issues here and there and i need a new car and i dont make a lot of money but im totally obsessed with these things. the look inside and out. had a Honda element and it got totaled and they only gave me 3000 back on it. so i could buy it but wouldn't have the rest for any repairs right away. are any discos worth buying if you dont have extra cash? is there someone i can link to the discos i find? anything helps.
thank, you. -Mykel

(owners description)
"If you're looking for a reliable, fun to drive, quirky Discovery II then look no further. This capable all-wheel-drive SUV has started every time and needed minimal maintenance. That's not to say that the Land Rover doesn't have it's short comings...it's nearly old enough to vote. It's currently running a little rough, but would easily remedied with new plugs/wires AKA an overdue tune-u
Frankly, I love this truck. We're selling it now because we just bought a new auto and need to make room in the garage. It's been my daily driver, picking up supplies for volunteers at Habitat for Humanity, for nearly 4 years (it's has plenty of good karma!). It has enough creature comforts for a family adventure, and enough power to pull 5 cars/trucks out of the ice and snow last winter. Speaking of winter, this rig tracks incredibly well in the snow, due (in part) to the new oversized CooperTires Discovery A/T3's!
It's hard to see it go, but my loss is your gain. Also a great way to start an "overlanding"/off-road camping! I'd love to wrap this up in a week or two, so I've priced it competitively. Considering reasonable offers. Give me a call and/or text and check it out in person.
Great: Fun to drive and here's a few reasons why!
• Starts/runs every day!
• Clean title with current tags (March 2018)
• Leather interior with heated front seats
• This model has the drop down 3rd row, seating 7 comfortably!
• Upgraded rear suspension! (no more bags = no maintenance!)
• New radiator, *head gasket, water pump, hoses, new ignition barrel, and thermostat *head gasket (*done by previous owner)!
• Including rear storage rack!
• Fully functional dual moon roof!
• Iconic and sought-after model = lots of resources available!

Quirky: A short google search will reveal these are all consistent 2000-2003 Discovery quirks. Not too bothersome, and easy to repair if they bother you.
• Passenger seat adjustments working intermittently
• 6 disc CD changer resets periodically.
• Ignition key no longer matches the door
• Key FOB functional, but not too pretty (replacements available on amazon)
• Rear moonroof prone to seasonal leaking
• Very common "three amigo's" lights are on. This doesn't effect the DEQ.
• Certainly not urgent, but brake pads will need to be replace in the near-ish future.

Less-great: Work that will need to be done before getting your 2020 tags
• Miss-fire in the 5 and 7 cylinder. My mechanic says it would be easily remedied with an over-due tune up. I just haven't had the time to take it in. This is also why it runs a little rough right now, and I would recommend getting maintenance completed right away."

Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

" and i need a new car and i dont make a lot of money "

Sorry, but a 2000 DII anywhere near $3000....... OMG NO! If you don't have a lot of $, you will have far less trying to play catch up on maintenance.
This thing will cost you. > https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...376376748.html

Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Go find a used Element if you don't have extra money to dump into a vehicle.

She is not for you mykelbanda, she is not for you.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Any vehicle "with a misfire easily remedied by could, plugs, and wires" would just be repaired and sold for $1000 more. Or in this case maybe sold for exactly what it's listed for because that's outrageous for a truck that's missing, Wich btw is causing damage every time the truck is run.

No, do not buy ANY used vehicle if you won't have any money left over. If you have 3k then you spend 2k on a vehicle. EVERY used vehicle requires immediate repairs. Typically $700-1200 in the first year of ownership.

For a Disco, I'd have double that because they're more sensitive to neglect. Once you get them up and running they can be perfectly reliable as long as you maintain them to a tee, but every used vehicle requires immediate repairs.

I'm sorry to say this; it sucks, but your best bet is probably going to be an 80s Toyota pickup or a 80s-90s Ford ranger or Chevy S10 if you're looking for 4wd in that price range. Maybe an old 4runner if you find one for that price.

Otherwise I'd be looking for smaller cars.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mykelbanda
2000 Land Rover Disco ll. 150,000 miles. green. Oregon. selling for 3000
Now, i know they have issues here and there and i need a new car and i dont make a lot of money but im totally obsessed with these things. the look inside and out. had a Honda element and it got totaled and they only gave me 3000 back on it. so i could buy it but wouldn't have the rest for any repairs right away. are any discos worth buying if you dont have extra cash? is there someone i can link to the discos i find? anything helps.
thank, you. -Mykel

(owners description)
"If you're looking for a reliable, fun to drive, quirky Discovery II then look no further. This capable all-wheel-drive SUV has started every time and needed minimal maintenance. That's not to say that the Land Rover doesn't have it's short comings...it's nearly old enough to vote. It's currently running a little rough, but would easily remedied with new plugs/wires AKA an overdue tune-u
Frankly, I love this truck. We're selling it now because we just bought a new auto and need to make room in the garage. It's been my daily driver, picking up supplies for volunteers at Habitat for Humanity, for nearly 4 years (it's has plenty of good karma!). It has enough creature comforts for a family adventure, and enough power to pull 5 cars/trucks out of the ice and snow last winter. Speaking of winter, this rig tracks incredibly well in the snow, due (in part) to the new oversized CooperTires Discovery A/T3's!
It's hard to see it go, but my loss is your gain. Also a great way to start an "overlanding"/off-road camping! I'd love to wrap this up in a week or two, so I've priced it competitively. Considering reasonable offers. Give me a call and/or text and check it out in person.
Great: Fun to drive and here's a few reasons why!
• Starts/runs every day!
• Clean title with current tags (March 2018)
• Leather interior with heated front seats
• This model has the drop down 3rd row, seating 7 comfortably!
• Upgraded rear suspension! (no more bags = no maintenance!)
• New radiator, *head gasket, water pump, hoses, new ignition barrel, and thermostat *head gasket (*done by previous owner)!
• Including rear storage rack!
• Fully functional dual moon roof!
• Iconic and sought-after model = lots of resources available!

Quirky: A short google search will reveal these are all consistent 2000-2003 Discovery quirks. Not too bothersome, and easy to repair if they bother you.
• Passenger seat adjustments working intermittently
• 6 disc CD changer resets periodically.
• Ignition key no longer matches the door
• Key FOB functional, but not too pretty (replacements available on amazon)
• Rear moonroof prone to seasonal leaking
• Very common "three amigo's" lights are on. This doesn't effect the DEQ.
• Certainly not urgent, but brake pads will need to be replace in the near-ish future.

Less-great: Work that will need to be done before getting your 2020 tags
• Miss-fire in the 5 and 7 cylinder. My mechanic says it would be easily remedied with an over-due tune up. I just haven't had the time to take it in. This is also why it runs a little rough right now, and I would recommend getting maintenance completed right away."
I hate to discourage anyone, for any reason, but you’ll want the 3 amigos fixed, and the misfires May or may not be easily fixed, you’d likely need to address the cooling system and front driveshaft.

The stock motor has the cylinder liner weakness, and I wouldn’t buy another without it’s motor being tophatted.

The only way I would buy another is to buy one for $500 and drop in an LS or a Turner Long block.

That said, it is possible you have an OK Truck that could last if you treat it right. It’s risky though.

Offer $750 and you should have money leftover to do all fluids, front driveshaft, and update the cooling system to 180 genuine or Inline thermo mod. Get an obdII tool and rebuild the ABS pump. Also, a leaking sunroof is more than a little deal, and they are glossing over these things that should be fixed.

Last edited by CollieRover; 11-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I hate to discourage anyone, for any reason, but you’ll want the 3 amigos fixed, and the misfires May or may not be easily fixed, you’d likely need to address the cooling system and front driveshaft.

The stock motor has the cylinder liner weakness, and I wouldn’t buy another without it’s motor being tophatted.

The only way I would buy another is to buy one for $500 and drop in an LS or a Turner Long block.

That said, it is possible you have an OK Truck that could last if you treat it right. It’s risky though.

Offer $750 and you should have money leftover to do all fluids, front driveshaft, and update the cooling system to 180 genuine or Inline thermo mod. Get an obdII tool and rebuild the ABS pump. Also, a leaking sunroof is more than a little deal, and they are glossing over these things that should be fixed.
X1 ............ it's sounds like a lifelong project or in my words, a dunger.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

That cylinder 5 & 7 misfire might be head gaskets. Probably head gaskets. The liners in the 4.0 BOSCH engines aren't as big a failure point as they are in the 4.6.

That being said, if the 3 amigos are lit up, rent a scan tool and read the codes. It may be as cheap as a new wheel speed sensor, or you might have to rewire the shuttle valves. You also may need wheel bearing(s). Those aren't cheap.

As much as I too wouldn't like to discourage someone from buying, if you're budget limited, I'd steer quite clear of this truck and see if you can either find one in better shape, or save up a few more grand to be able to dump into repairs and such.

I bought mine for $3000 CDN, and I've put roughly the same into it to get it where she is today. I still need more work done to it yet as well, and I do all my own work.

My question is this. Will this be a daily driver, or is it going to be a weekend toy? If daily, walk away. If it's going to be a toy, you may be able to buy it and slowly put it back together.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

The 3 Musketeers/Amigos is not that big of a deal. Do Option B and move on or replace/rewire a sensor. Misfire could be a bad coil pack or a head gasket problem due to not being done properly. Inspect cylinders with a bore scope camera & go from there before going any further.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

"Don't have a lot of money" and owning a Disco is not a good combination.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree, find a Toyota Tacoma. Vehicle of choice by the Taliban. Overworked and in harsh conditions, they keep running. Yes, D2's are awsome if you have shop and equipment to work on them.

Quick Reply: new here. Obsessed with Disco ll. help