Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here. Obsessed with Disco ll. help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
"Don't have a lot of money" and owning a Disco is not a good combination.
You can own a D2 and be cheap... It all comes down to the condition of the LR you bought & your knowledge of working on them.

I spent way more time & $$$$ working on my two Jeep (“Heeps” IMHO) and I gave up trying when they barely passed 50k and were 5-7 years old.

Prime example I bought my 99 D2 for 1500.00 sight unseen & it needed a new battery and alternator before I could even crank it after driving out 5hr to go get it. Slapped in a spare alternator, a spare battery, checked the fluids, fired it up, and my test drive was 5hr on the way back home. All the electronics worked, clean exterior/interior, and a lot of $$$$ had been put into it by the previous owner from CA. They only sold it to buy their dream VW & to save MPG. I have upgraded it slowly on the cheap side as it’s not my daily driver. I got a great deal on an 04 with tons of off road goodies for 800.00 swapped all off road parts off & turned around and sold the 04 for 650.00 in less than 30min lol. 150.00 for a 2inch OME HD setup shocks/springs, TF rocker guards, HD Steering, and 5 brand new steel wheels in the boxes! Then I fixed up a few maintenance items using Auto Zone stuff like a fan clutch & dorman fan blade. It has 106K on it and runs and drives flawless. It then was put to the test during Harvey & kicked some serious butt & walked away like Harvey’s flood waters were a trip thru the car wash! All for 1500.00 that I got after I was rear ended in my 98 D1.

If you truly love LR’s get to know them inside & out. I’ve had zero issues with the nearly 20 LR’s I’ve owned and not a one has ever cost me my first born or have been a money pit.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
"Don't have a lot of money" and owning a Disco is not a good combination.
Owning a Discovery...actually lead to me not having a lot of money anymore...lol.

I agree with the other posters above, just pass on this truck...unless you can get it for under a grand and are somewhat mechanically inclined and you really, really want a Discovery and you can make the best out of the remainer of cash you have (repair wise) and you can ride a bike to work on occasions and you are into self punishment...okay, the last one isn't really necessary in advance...it will be acquired shortly after you sign the dotted line.

Brian.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Actually, this situation sounds a lot like my corvette experience, 18 years old, had some cash from working evenings after school, found a cheap-in-need-of-repair 69 vette, slapped down everything I had to purchase it...two months later it became yard art...three months later I sold it at a loss.

That was about forty years ago now...and yes...I still make the occasional mistake...but nowadays...I can recover from stupid more easily. Young, stupid and poor is a bad combination (in my case with the vette).

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 11-08-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fingers can't spell anymore...
Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Spending any money on a Disco with un-diagnosed misfires on interior cylinders would be foolish even if you did have lots of dosh.

If it was so easy as wires and plugs they would have done that and raised the price.

Anyone else notice the amount of threads here and elsewhere of cracked blocks that show as misfires on 5 and 6?

This seller is looking for someone foolish enough to bite.

There are better Rovers out there.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:35 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of red flags in that ad. I'd stay away.
It looks like you're in Portland. Good Discoverys come up for sale fairly often here. There's a good community around them and several good shops specializing in Rovers. You should get a pre purchase inspection at one of them on any Discovery you're considering.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

The cheapest D2 I’ve ever bought & without a doubt the toughest, most reliable, and I maybe have 1500.00 into it with tires, rack, rocker guards, HD Steering, OME Lift (shocks & HD Coils), paracord wrapped steering wheel, rear cargo door aluminum panel, and my Kalahari’s front bumper.

It used to look like this:

I’m still trying to find out about the OEM stickers in the back windows. Automobile Magazine 99 All Star SUV. Friend says he never saw a 99 with those (LR 25 year master tech) he said it could have been in the magazine. It came from CA so it’s very possible. If so that would really cool if it was the D2 from the magazine.

Last edited by Best4x4; 11-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

No doubt, you can find cheap, well taken care of, quality Discos that will be reliable for you. They're few and far between though. You've got to wait on the right one to come along and you HAVE to know what you're looking at.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4

The cheapest D2 I’ve ever bought & without a doubt the toughest, most reliable, and I maybe have 1500.00 into it with tires, rack, rocker guards, HD Steering, OME Lift (shocks & HD Coils), paracord wrapped steering wheel, rear cargo door aluminum panel, and my Kalahari’s front bumper.

It used to look like this:

I’m still trying to find out about the OEM stickers in the back windows. Automobile Magazine 99 All Star

Stop rubbing it in, lol

Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Stop rubbing it in, lol
Haha I’m not, all my D2’s besides that one are straight from CL. That 04 in Portland looks nice. I saw that listing a week ago (brother lives near there so I check Portland, OR CL from time to time).

Just gotta know when to walk away on a D2 that is a disaster. Plenty of other D2’s out there! If I look at one and anything raises a flag, be it the owner that doesn’t seem like the owner or a nasty engine bay with perfectly topped off fluids (owner is probably hiding massive leaks), to I’m in the military & need to ship the item from the base... I run run as fast as I can!!! LoL

I know the woman I bought my Black Beauty from kicks herself in the (_!_) everytime she thinks of letting a 32-38k SUV (when new & what she paid) go over a dead battery & alternator....

I know she was amazed when I slapped in new battery & alternator and had it running 5min after buying it lol.

Last edited by Best4x4; 11-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: new here. Obsessed with Disco ll. help