Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New knock on the block - need help with diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 03:18 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW, I had/have a slipped sleeve on #4 cylinder. I did nothing about until I had to do my head gaskets. I got the sleeve back down via dry ice in the cylinder and a steel plate pressing it back to flush with the top of the block. That was 45,000 miles ago. My ticking sounds like yours, but I do not know if it is the sleeve or something else. Looking forward to hearing what you find.
PS- My engine has had a ticking sound for almost 95,000 miles.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
FWIW, I had/have a slipped sleeve on #4 cylinder. I did nothing about until I had to do my head gaskets. I got the sleeve back down via dry ice in the cylinder and a steel plate pressing it back to flush with the top of the block. That was 45,000 miles ago. My ticking sounds like yours, but I do not know if it is the sleeve or something else. Looking forward to hearing what you find.
PS- My engine has had a ticking sound for almost 95,000 miles.
Lol, sounds like the I have some time before it explodes. I'm trying to do the oil pressure check, but the weather has turned nasty and it's been raining all week. If the oil pressure is ok, I'll drop the pan an take a gander.

​​​​​​Question: how much did your liner slip? Is it something visible or more like in hundreds or thousands of an inch?

Old 10-29-2023, 05:04 PM
Winching

Sorry I'm just getting to this. The liner on #4 slipped about 2mm. Using dry ice and a steel plate with holes matching the block, I pushed the sleeve down flush to the block.

Old 10-29-2023, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by miron
Lol, sounds like the I have some time before it explodes. I'm trying to do the oil pressure check, but the weather has turned nasty and it's been raining all week. If the oil pressure is ok, I'll drop the pan an take a gander.

​​​​​​Question: how much did your liner slip? Is it something visible or more like in hundreds or thousands of an inch?
If you drop the pan take a photo of the camshaft between each bearing land.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by matt3502
Sorry I'm just getting to this. The liner on #4 slipped about 2mm. Using dry ice and a steel plate with holes matching the block, I pushed the sleeve down flush to the block.
No worries, it got freezing cold here, so i had to postpone any work on this until it gets warmer (no garage for me unfortunately).
So it sounds like i should be able to measure this fairly easily or maybe even see - least that will be an easy diagnosis.

Old 10-30-2023, 08:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by miron
No worries, it got freezing cold here, so i had to postpone any work on this until it gets warmer (no garage for me unfortunately).
So it sounds like i should be able to measure this fairly easily or maybe even see - least that will be an easy diagnosis.
I used a feeler gauge so I know my number is right. I posted a bunch of photos of this process but I can't find that thread.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts
Old 10-30-2023, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling

oh wow, that slipped a lot . Ok, now I really know what to look for. Thank you! I'll get on this as soon as the weather allows.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Finally, I got to doing some of the checks before I pull the oil pan.
Oil pressure goes from 30 psi at idle to a steady 40psi - rave says it should be 50psi at 2000 rpm, but mine just stays at 40, maybe 42psi if I rev it up past 2000 rpm - I'm not sure whether this is concerning or not (maybe the pressure relief spring has gone bad?).
Also, I pulled the sparkplugs, which all looked fine, and scoped the bores - nothing out of the ordinary there.

On another note, here are a couple of pics from inside the bore. The liner seems to be resting flush on a ledge in the block, so I'm not really sure how would it slip down...

Old 12-16-2023, 05:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

What weight oil are you running? If it runs a steady 30 psi at idle when hot that is more than enough. Most will not clear 45 psi unless you really get the engine spinning to 4000 ish.

The slipped liner thing has long been a mystery. They slip up believe it or not and that is what causes the tapping. If was tapping and you have the engine out you may want to consider pinning the cylinders.

Quick Reply: New knock on the block - need help with diagnosis