Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a couple of gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a couple of gremlins

I just recently purchased a 2001 Disco II. Drive back from the dealer was 500km, no radio, so I got to 'bond' with it real good :-)
Radio turned out to be a blown fuse, not an obvious one, but the one that is on the back of the radio. First gremlin down.
Next it wouldn't shift out of high on the transfer case, thought it was the lock out solenoid but turns out the linkage on the t-case was seized. Second gremlin gone.
The ACE light is on (amber) most of the time, occasionally it goes off. It went off after going through the car wash so I'm assuming that it's a short or something. Still hunting it down.
I took it to my mechanic to change all the oils and give her a check over. So everything looks good except for the front tie rods and rear radius arms are loose. Are these common failures? I trust the guy but I've not read much here about these going south that often.
I'll pull the front prop shaft and have it rebuilt, thanks to darover who pointed me at a local shop that can do it.

Back to the ACE, is there any thing I can try myself or should I get someone with testbook to pull the codes? Anyone to recommend in the Ottawa, canada area?
Any good sources for the tierods and radius arms, local LR dealer won't return his calls.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: New member with a couple of gremlins

I am assuming that you checked the ACE fluid level?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it's full :-)
I was hoping it'd be that too. I even disconnected and reseated the connectors on the valve block under the right rear passenger door.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

ok lol. Always start with the easy stuff.
I have no idea of where to go from here.
Unless with your tie rod ends being bad the extra play in the system is setting off a fault.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try changing your Ace fluid. empty the reservoir with a turkey baster or fluid pump, fill with new fluid, start the truck for a minute or two and repeat 4 to 5 times. You won't end up with perfectly new fluid, but better and better.

As for the tie-rod ends, don't be afraid to go to the Ottawa dealer. They have very competitive prices and the service manager is a very nice guy who ispretty involved in the Ottawa valley land Rover club. In fact if you're a member of the club, you get 10% discount on parts and also for labour should you decide to have them do the job. So that$30 member fee pays for itself in a heartbeat!! but they're not cheap labor wise. Some $100/hour !!!! Malmberg could take care of that job toofor much cheaper.

If you want to go aftermarket, try roverparkboys.com. They're from Alberta and very nice guys.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcrw

Yup, it's full :-)
I was hoping it'd be that too. I even disconnected and reseated the connectors on the valve block under the right rear passenger door.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't touch anything on the ACE system, especially when it comes to the lines, it will cost you BIG $$$'s to have someone clean up after you.
Send me your tele number and I will walk you thru what to do and how.
Mike

Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but isint the idea of a public forum like this one is to post information to help others?
Having people call you all the time doesnt help the rest of us.
I comend you on your willingness to help others, but how can the rest of us learn if the answer is not posted on here?