Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with a few questions

Hey guys, as you can probably tell I have a 97 discovery XD the truck itself has 99,000 miles on it and the engine has around 50,000(my dad blew up the old one haha). I'm 18 I know a fair amount about cars not as much about rovers. I've done work on my buddies old E30 BMW and I've my fair share of automotive work through my teen years. I just recently inherited this truck from my Dad and I want to keep it running great for as long as I can. But since I'm going to college right now I dont have the money to keep up on the matinence and I want to try and cut some of the cost by doing some work myself
So basically my questions are these:
1. Am I in over my head wanting to work on my rover?
2. What would be the best shop manual for me to get?
3. Does anyone have any tips for keeping it in good condition?(besides oil changes every2500-3000miles)

Thanks for any advice guys.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Member with a few questions

First welcome to the forum. The big thing about rovers is the maintainence. Since you have some experience the diy part is good to go. The workshop manual is going to be a must in your case. I recommend it to all. They can be had on ebay. There is also a cd version. Haynes also makes their version of the all knowing book. Most rovers don't have alot of major problems. The ones that are frequent can be a pain in the tail, but most diyers can do it. check the faq. page for the a list. the other cost saver will be parts suppliers. Guess what? There is a list of parts suppliers in the forum search. The dealers are not bad as dealers go. They tend to shotgun fix things to get them out. They have a time quota that they have to meet to maintain with land rovers of north america. They are expensive to deal with. roversnorth.com is a good source for parts. they have alot of kit type parts so the whole system can be addressed at one time. I have done business with them for years. That is just my opinion not a commerical.
You seem to already have the basics of vehicle regular maintianenance so I will let that go unless you want a generalized list. it is pretty much the same with any type of vehicle. The only cut corner thing that i recommend is what you want to do. diy. I have a 96 disco with 130k on it. I do most of the work myself and don't call myself a tech. few small problems, nothing major. If I can be of any other help hollar. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff