Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Noise - Clacking, clicking front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pat, call me after work.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have something stuck in the tread of your tires? Sounds stupid, but it could be?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alfa_romeo55
Did you recently have your tires balanced as they tend to hammer the weights on the side of the rim instead of using the stick on weights. As a result the weight might be protruding just abit rubbing against the shock towers and causing the ticking noise every revolution.

You sir, I owe a beer!

So last night I went up to a buddies and threw the truck up on 4 stands, ran it up to 45 and didn't hear a thing...at that point said OK, I give up, I will run it until the noise gets worse.

Since the truck was up on stands i figured i might as well rotate the tires.

Put the truck back down and took it for a ride....nice and quite!

I didn't realize how close the weights are to the steering knuckle! During the last outing i must have knocked 1 a little loose.

Best part is when i changed the CV/axle shaft i changed the axle seal because i had a very minor leak...now its major leak...must not have seated it properly going to put my old CV/axle and hub back on, at least i know where they have been and haven't been molested by some scrapper that pulled them.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Back in to the garage then set it up on jacks. Don't recommend crawling under while running . But post an in law in the drivers seat just in case.
My 99 makes a rotational noise especially in a curve. Never have found the cause . yet Im thinking it's a hub bearing that just hasn't died yet they all feel good too. I am interested in the solution.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by slabrat
Back in to the garage then set it up on jacks. Don't recommend crawling under while running . But post an in law in the drivers seat just in case.
My 99 makes a rotational noise especially in a curve. Never have found the cause . yet Im thinking it's a hub bearing that just hasn't died yet they all feel good too. I am interested in the solution.
Good idea backing into the garage....not sure why that didnt occur to me!

Does your noise go away when you go through turns? And only turning in 1 direction? If its a hub bearing the noise would change or go away completely when you bank into a turn, taking the weight of the tires on the inside of the curve.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling

It actually gets a bit louder when in a left curve. I changed 1 hub but it didn't help I may try again on another. It's got to be something like that.
As far as the seal for the axle, I made a jack out of a piece of oak flooring that I slotted and some threaded rod. ( see pic can't see much) I borrowed a seal putter inner tool from Auto parts store?? ( not sure what its called ) and jacked it in. It took quite a bit of pressure to get it in there. I destroyed the first one trying to put it in with a tomato sauce can and a hammer.

You can thank the wife for the back in the garage suggestion. She said the light would be much better also. She was right. I'm keeping her.

Attached Thumbnails New Noise - Clacking, clicking front end-imag0660.jpg