Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner, trouble lights and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner, trouble lights and questions

Hello everyone, I have recently found my self to be the new "owner" of my brothers 2003 disco 2, since hes away in the UK for collage and I need a good off road as I have just got into a fire department in a rural/metro area.
I really like the car, its been fun driving around town and camping trips. I have never taken it for a real drive and im a little apprehensive. It has broken down a few times in the last few years, 90% from the damn plastic tubes intertwined in the coolant system that get so brittle and shatter, out here in the 110 degree weather of south Arizona. Im worried about taking it for an hour drive and one of the pieces i havent replaced will break lol. Besides that I have a few other things i need some advice on.

Dash lights - [attached pic related] check engine came on a few months back, 2 new down stream O2 sencers fixed it but now check engine is back on, so ill get the codes checked soon enough
BRAKE light always on, hand brake works find, i have a moderate brake fluid leak from the reservoir, i ordered the 2 seals for the bottom to stop the leak but not sure why the light is on.
TC with a circle - no idea what his one is for, please help lol.
ABS light also on, dont know why, brakes work fine?
and a little image of the rover going down an incline with a " ! " next to it.
Also, sometimes when its "cold" like in winter time, i get the blinking S and M in green lights on the dash. I have to let it warm up, and restart it about 5 or 6 times
and then it goes away. When they dont, its stuck in "limp" mode and is really gutless so I dont drive it like that, I just keep messing with it till it goes away lol.
Any Ideas?

Need help IDing dash lights

besides all theses, it runs great. Gas hog obviously but thats expected right?
Its kinda beat up, lots of trim pieces on the outsides breaking off and what not,
I want to put some money into it, get a nice off road bumper for the winch i got, and snorkel, etc
I plan to take it off roading and what not.
Thank you everyone

Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The Traction Control (TC), ABS and HDC (Hill Descent Control) lights coming on in unison mean you have a problem with your ABS circuit, most likely candidate being the shuttle valve switch wiring under the ABS pump. Commonly referred to as the 3 amigos because they almost always show up together. Search for the term Option B and you'll see how most people correct this, or at least approach the problem this way as a first attempt. If you have a code reader that will read ABS specific faults you should be able to tell if it's a wheel speed sensor.

The S&M lights are possibly due to a malfunctioning XYZ switch. Some are repairable, you'll have to remove it to try an R&R on it.

You may also want to search out a copy of the RAVE manual on this site and download the .pdf. This will help in general terms as you try and keep this thing going down the road in a straight line under its own power with its fluids on the inside.

As others will inevitably tell you in sort order, do something to monitor your coolant temps. The dash gauge is not a reliable way to do this and will lead to a multitude of problems. Search ELM327, Ultragauge, Torque, OBD Fusion, this will give an idea of what most people do.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Brake light with the three amigos likely means bad wheel speed sensor. Take it to a LR shop if you want to get it corrected. I can second the elm327/torque app recommendation.