Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New radio install, no sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New radio install, no sound

I installed a new head unit, I used the Metra 70-1786 Radio Wiring Harness and i plugged the RCS plugs into the head unit per the Metra instruction but i get no sound. if I crank the radio ALL the way up I can get a faint sound of a radio broadcast.

Obviously the factory amp is not cranking up, any ideas on how to fix this?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a few possibilities. Are you sure that you have connected your remote wire from the head unit (blue wire) to the blue/white wire on the adapter? This triggers the factory amp. Are all of your connections secure? Squeezing everything back into the dash can loosen some things up. Have you set your new head unit to work on the preamp outputs? Some head units require you to change the settings to send the signal to the correct wires.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the response. I checked the wires, they are tight and correct. There is no requirement to change the head unit outputs.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Are you sure that you have connected your remote wire from the head unit (blue wire) to the blue/white wire on the adapter? This triggers the factory amp..
Agreed with the 04duxlr. When I got my rover, it had the wrong stereo harness. It was roaring loud at low volumes - basically sending high level audio to the amplifier, instead of RCA style low level feed.

After putting the proper harness on, my audio sounds fantastic.

The reason I mention it -- I'm not positive ALL D2 have the amplifier. If you're using an RCA low level style connection, it may be that you don't have an amplifier? You say you can hear it if you really crank it -- almost sounds like that may be the case. Someone else may know better on the levels of audio options in these.

Dave

Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Mudding
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Agreed with the 04duxlr. When I got my rover, it had the wrong stereo harness. It was roaring loud at low volumes - basically sending high level audio to the amplifier, instead of RCA style low level feed.

After putting the proper harness on, my audio sounds fantastic.

The reason I mention it -- I'm not positive ALL D2 have the amplifier. If you're using an RCA low level style connection, it may be that you don't have an amplifier? You say you can hear it if you really crank it -- almost sounds like that may be the case. Someone else may know better on the levels of audio options in these.

Dave
Ghaniba - you are CORRECT. There is NO AMP in my car. I read up on the forum and assumed that that all D2's had an amp...this is NOT the case. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

That sucks. You can put RCA connectors on your line level outputs and use your current adapter or just swap out to a 70-9401 connector which is for systems without an amp.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome to hear. I love when the fix will be under $20 for a Rover. It's rare, but sometimes!

Dave

Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Mudding
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Awesome to hear. I love when the fix will be under $20 for a Rover. It's rare, but sometimes!

Dave
Every search result that I brought up on the forum mentioned that harness and the factory amp so I assumed that it was standard. but when you brought that up and the fact that my truck is an SD which is the base model it all made sense. I tested with one speaker and sure enough, no amp. Thanks.