Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New windshield wiper blades not working well

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default New windshield wiper blades not working well

I replaced my windshield wiper blades from British Atlantic. When I tested them, both left a triangle patch when the blades are at 90 degrees. I did not see any solution on the web-site other than recommendations for these blades. I even watched the video to see if I installed wrong. BTW, it's not that difficult and I did it right. Any suggestions? has someone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Are you still using the original factory wiper arms?

I switched to the Disco 1 arms which provide more consistent coverage over the swipe across the windshield. The wiper blade replacements for the D-1 wiper arms are also more commonly available and less expensive.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on the passenger side when I got my 03 disco last year. I replaced the arms and blades with the D1 kit from AB. Still have the same problem in the same place. I have tried bending and adjusting things (blades and arms) and repositioning arm. Someone, somewhere on some forum (not this one) mentioned that this problem could be due to some kind of twist in the arm. Maybe it is just the windshield. So many things on these trucks are slightly out of whack.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/diy-tips-rain-x-latitude-blades-w-dii-arms-38851/

As I posted above, best wiper set up I've ever had on any vehicle, ever. Of course, if your windshield has a flat spot in it, that's another story.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:35 AM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input,
I went out and looked at the wipers as they went over the windshield and I have never seen anything like this. At different points in the path the wipers are off the windshield then compressed. I had never heard of flat spots in a windshield before this quite like what I saw. I adjusted as best as I could and if we get rain I think it will be safe for now. I will also continue to look for a solution, maybe the older version of the arm?
Thanks again for the help,

Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

X whatever number on going back to the D1 wiper arms when those blades wear out. I made the conversion about 6 years ago. Nice and simple to change and you get the benefit of being able to buy replacement wiper blades any place that sells blades (auto parts stores, gas stations, WalMart) so if you ever have an issue on the road, you won't have to wait for blades to be shipped.

I also took a dremel to my rear wiper arm to allow a more common rear wiper blade for SUVs to fit.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 08-09-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Same problem on my 04. AB replaced the first set of wipers and the second set were better but not 100%.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I still have the original set up. The plastic body of each blade goes through a plastic channel in the wiper arm. Like a U shape. I found mine was too tight, ie the blade would have friction on the arm. This was not letting the blade touch the glass at the top of the stroke.

I very lightly oiled this channel and they were much better. I meant to slightly file it away as a proper fix, but never got to it. Not had to use the wipers since, I expect my temp lubrication job has worn off by now.

See if yours are also tight in the arm fixing.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If they're allmakes4x4 blades they're horrible. The rear lasts about 4 weeks for me if I'm lucky. I switched the truck over to Bosch Icon blades and haven't looked back. Extremely good blades. I use 19a & 19b blades

Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper stopped working

Originally Posted by Strikker
I replaced my windshield wiper blades from British Atlantic. When I tested them, both left a triangle patch when the blades are at 90 degrees. I did not see any solution on the web-site other than recommendations for these blades. I even watched the video to see if I installed wrong. BTW, it's not that difficult and I did it right. Any suggestions? has someone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help
Hi, I have the same problem here. In the middle of driving in the snow it stopped working 3x which was very dangerous and today 3/1/2020 It happened again in the rain on the freeway again which was very scary because everytime it happens I am totally blind and try to pull over safely. I am also looking for answers why these happens.