Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie Looking at a discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie Looking at a discovery

Im new to the forum and had many other cars in the past from audi, cadillac, jeep, and triumph. Im looking into the land rovers and I found one on ebay last night I ended up[ being the high bidder but the reserve price wasn't met. I was offered a second chance on the discovery for the bid I placed (1600). I have attached the link to the page, the land rover seems to need quite a bit of work but wanted to get the opinion for other disco owners and see if this is a realistic price for the truck. Thanks, Brad.

clicky:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: newbie Looking at a discovery

Will this be a primary driver or do you have another car to get you to work?

I am new to the Rover world as well; I purchased a '99 Disco II about a month ago. It had minor issues, but for the under $9k I spent, I am pretty happy. I am also a VERY avid VW/Audi fan. If you think this will be ANYWHERE NEAR what your Audi's are, you are WRONG.

My opinion is this:

German cars are very precise; handling, control, fit, finish, is TOP NOTCH, overall build quality is VERY GOOD (Japanese cars get an "Excellent" out of me).

Rovers are un-beatable off road, but the fit and finish is mediocre. I have to re-attach my side marker on my truck constantly. The controls and buttons and ***** inside are NOT up to German car levels. That said, I will off road with ANYONE and I am stock (but not for long).

short story: if you want to off road, get a Rover, but dont expect it to be Audi build quality. If you want a problem free, daily driver, consider anything else.

edit:
I dont see how you can go wrong for $1600; you can part it out and make money!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Drifting
Default RE: newbie Looking at a discovery

Alright, lets see, first off it seems that it does look ok, however always remember photos can be misleading, so I wouldn’t really go for that at all. Land Rover can be a very expensive vehicle to repair, and from what I have read, you are going to spend some money fixing this one up, however the question here is, is it worth the money to spend to fix up this Rover, in my eyes if you have the extra cash, and time, I say it might be a good project, but you also have to understand, right now with Gas prices the way they are, it is going to be hard to move something like this, so if I were you, I would do some more shopping around, but as minor as the damage maybe, you really need to understand that maybe they are not telling you everything.

I have seen good vehicles come from salvage yards, but I have also done some home work, and my home work found that there are not many Land Rovers in Junk yards, and mostly the reason is because people buy these things fast, because parts are so exspesive and having one on stand by for parts is ideal, so I really don’t know, but I can say that I own a 97 Land Rover Discovery, and even though I have had my ups and downs with it, I still cannot part with it, at least not right now.

If you are also thinking of purchasing it and fixing it up for a profit, I think your going to loose money on this one. Even though a 95 is in good shape, the resale value isn’t going to be worth it for you to fix it up to sell it again, unless you own your own shop and you work on it yourself, it still is going to cost a lot to fix this baby up. Yes it is true, there might be someone who might want one that bad, but I really would take your time with this one.

The asking price right now is around 3gr, and that really isn’t that bad, but without knowing the total damage you are really peeing in the wind here, and taking a chance that can affect what you really want this for. I once had a friend who purchased a truck from a salvage yard, it was in really good shape, and to fix the minor damage was worth it to him, and it was a good deal, and he did end up turning a small profit, but we are really talking about a Land Rover. Like I said, if you have the money to invest into this project I would pay that price they are asking, maybe a little less, but in the end, you will have a nice ride.

Good luck