Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie problems.

Originally Posted by rellik1103
I am a newbie to both the Land Rover and Forums. I have always read forums and used them for research when having an issue with something but never an active participate. I just recently traded my 98 Honda civic for a 2001 LR Discovery Series 2. I know sounds like a great deal, but there are a few problems with the LR that I was unaware of at first. The first thing I have noticed is that I have a bad cardon joint in the front drive shaft (have one on order just awaiting arrival) that was a huge chunk of change to start with, but not devastating to my excitement about having a Land Rover. I have also noticed that I have what you guys call the Three amigos and would take any advice on this. I have read the forum and seen a lot doing the SVS bypass to solve what seems to be an electrical fault. The last thing I have noticed is that I can not unlock the passenger doors or rear hatch with the use of the key in the drivers door. My buttons on the key are shot so the key is the only entry available. The key will lock them all but only unlock the drivers door. I have to crawl through the vehicle to manually open the other doors from the inside. I took it to autozone to try and get a code read out on the Service Engine Light and got these codes P1590, P0430, P0420, Po300, P0305, P0562, and P0134. I did pull the negative cable and get the SES light to go off but have the battery light on now and cant run codes again until I get the drive shaft in. Any and all help will be appreciated. Also both my bumpers are cracked to hell and am looking for some cheap replacements if anyone has some.

Taking some good advice from a fellow member and posting this where more eyes will see and be able to help, thanks to all

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

P0420 - Catalyst efficiency deteriorated - LH bank

P0430 - Catalyst efficiency deteriorated - RH bank

P0300 Random/multiple cylinder excess emissions detected
Excess emissions detected on more than one cylinder

P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected Excess emissions level of misfire detected on cylinder No.5

P0134 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected (bank 1, sensor 1)
Front sensor LH bank open circuit

Many times O2 codes and misfires clear away when plugs and high quality wires installed.

P1590 ABS rough road signal circuit malfunction Hardware is OK, but SLABS ECU is sending an error signal

Part of the three Amigos

battery light on now - this is a problem. That means the alternator is likely not providing recharging to battery, and your test runs will soon deplete the battery. Should this happen when truck is locked, you will be in for a world of problems because the BCU (body control unit) will assume you are trying to steal the truck when you jump off the dead battery. Truck will be immobolized, and you will need the key fob to get it going again. And your fob is toast. Before we get to that point, unplug the alarm switch for the hood. Fix what ever you did to make alternator stop working. Battery volts, when normal charging, at idle, should be 13.6 - 14.4.

Does central unlock switch on right hand side of dash work for you? Dealer can unprogram the single point unlock feature that you speak of (for a price).

Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to change plugs and wires this weekend. What is my first course of action on the SLABS ECU sending an error? How do I unplug the alarm switch for the hood' or disable the alarm all together if possible. I am reading between 12.4-12.8v while idle. The only thing that I messed with is disconnecting the negative cable and I have checked that twice now. Should I take the alternator off and have it tested? Lastly my central lock button does not lock/unlock any of the doors, but does make a sound at the switch.

Kevin

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Battery is not being charged. Check fuses 27 and 23 under dash, and measure from battery (-) post to big wire bolted down on back of alternator, if still below 13.6 then would advise remove and take to shop for testing. Meanwhile, attach an electric battery charger to top off your existing battery. See attached wiring diagram from RAVE.

Central locking is controlled like a lot of things, by the BCU. Check fuses 1 & 20 under the dash, and 13 in the under hood box. See attached diagram.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 alt.pdf (82.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 central locking.pdf (102.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-09-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Battery voltage at idle needs to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.
As for the drive shaft, you probably should replace all 4 u-joints and the centering ball, don't just do one. If you need directions on the drive shaft rebuilt as well as the correct part number, send me your e-mail address and I will ship you a PDF on this repair.
Who's plugs and wires are you planning on using?
Never disconnect a battery cable to try and correct an issue, doesn't work and usually just causes more problems.
Need to replace all 4 02 sensors.
As for the 3 amigos, don't mess with it till you get your codes read by a shop that has the proper software for Rover ABS systems, there are 16 reason the 1590 code can come up, so don't guess.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the help guys, got out there today and figured out how to switch the transfer case to allow for driving without front shaft. Definitely was the noise and shake problem. Battery light went out after getting drive it for a minute and running in something besides idle.

Still having the door lock issue and three amigos. Checked the fuses yall suggested and all where good for the door. I am going to take a looked at the brakes this weekend, and putting Bosch platinum 4 plugs and Bosch wires. Can't afford the magnacor wires. problem with have codes read properly is that closes LR dealer is 2 hours away

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Those Bosch wires will not cut it, don't waste all that time and cheap wires on your truck.
Read what others are doing, one good choice are the 8 mm silicone STI wires for $70 and there is an even cheaper set of wires that some are using, you'll need to do a search for them.
As for your charging system, go get it tested, I bet you have a problem still.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

X2 on batt or alt problem still there.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Overlanding

Took it to auto zone and had both tested came back good. Replaced my drive shaft with this one
1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 NEW FRONT DRIVE SHAFT | eBay

Going to flush brakes and coolant this weekend, disco you said use peak coolant but how much?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

About 3 gallons.