Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No engine start stumper - need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No engine start stumper - need help

Hi all - My 1997 Disco had been acting up lately - misfires and lack of power but seemed to idle fine and always started without any issue. Coming home the other night and had actually just thought to myself well it must have come out of it - it completely stalled and died. I got it to the side of the road - all lights and electronics ran fine, it turned over tried to start then would die. If I gave it gas it lasted a bit longer but would still die. Towed it home and did some reasearch - tested the alternator and wasn't seeing what I should soI pulled it took it to the parts store had it bench tested and it was no good. I bought a new one installed it and tried starting it up last night - turns over fine, I have fuel (checked pump and fuel rail) but I don't think I am getting any spark. I did not pull any plugs yet since it was dark, 20 degrees and snowing. Does anyone have a path of knowledge I can go down so i don't start making matters worse. All I did was disconnect the batt. neg / pulled alt.+3 electrical connections/put new alt in +3 connections. The symptoms before the failure/stall I believe somewhat goes with an alternator dying, but could there be a sensor or something else that would have contributed? If so how can I check without just removing and replacing everything with two wires on it? If an alternator fails like that can it damage any other electronics? I checked all the fuses and none are blown - please help I am stumped and it is only getting colder out.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: No engine start stumper - need help

I'm not sure about the electrical part (alternator and all) or really if this might help but here it is. I had another brand vehicle that would (after warming up, driving) it would start misfiring, backfire a time or two, then just pass out....my catalytic converters were plugged/ing up. I'm not sure how you would test that - mine was towed in under warranty, converters replaced, no repeat performances.

Robert

Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, you bought a new alternator when you didnt need to. When your alt fails so will your tachometer, and the battery light will come on on the dash.
You cannot test the alt yourself without the truck running.
The parts guy wanted to make a sale.
If the alt were bad then it would not charge the battery, once the battery was drained the truck would quit, and nothing would work, no dash lights, no clicking, no cranking over...nothing. Until you charged it with a battery charger.
If you have been driving it for a long time in need of a bad tune up you could have clogged your catalitic convertors, once they are clogged your exhaust fills up with exhaust fumes and stalls the engine.
Just like sticking a potato in your ex wifes tailpipe on here brand new car.
You will need to check for spark first, if you have spark then look into clogged cats.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
4wd Low

cripe - ok I will be checking spark after work and I am borrowing an OBD II reader from a buddy - that should give a code for cat failure right? Having just read this I haven't looked at cost of new cats.....do I even dare. Are there any suggestions as to where to get if that is the issue? Thanks a ton.