Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO HG LEAK!!! WALLET = HAPPY!!!! But oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used 20W50 on someone's recommendation and I regret it, my sporadic tick has now become a permanent tick and the engine was not happy running with the thicker oil. I would agree that with older Land Rover Series engines you may need to go to 20W50, but not on your disco with only 75K. If your engine is happy with the current weight oil you are using then DO NOT go to 20W50, you will regret it. Use Rotella 15W40 and stay with that, seriously do yourself a favor.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought my 2002 disco a few years ago,.....it was a 60,000 mile one owner, regularly dealer serviced, with all books and records,...and it had been running full synthetic for quite a while. It leaked quite a bit from numerous spots. LOTS of oil spots on the (new) concrete driveway. I took it in for a change to 20-50 Dino and virtually ALL the oil drips stopped immediately!!

On the other side of that equation,....I was prepping my BMW R1100RT for a long 3 day ride to Arkansas about 10 years ago,.....and decided to change my final drive (shaft drive) to full synthetic. Left the next morning with my group,...and at our first stop,....I noticed that the final drive was now leaking.......onto my rear brake rotor and tire!!. I ended up having to install a new seal to fix the problem. I have numerous friends who have logged over 300K, 500K and in one case over 650,000 miles on unrebuilt original engines (all domestic V8s)....and not a one of them uses synthetic.....so,....personally, Im not sold on the idea of Synthetic.

I just change my oil when its time, generally 5-6,000 miles. On my Mitsubishi Montero that burns and leaks about a quart of oil every 200 miles (but never a breakdown of any kind at 238,000 miles),....I change it once a year.....and the inside of the engine is spotless.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
When I bought my 2002 disco a few years ago,.....it was a 60,000 mile one owner, regularly dealer serviced, with all books and records,...and it had been running full synthetic for quite a while. It leaked quite a bit from numerous spots. LOTS of oil spots on the (new) concrete driveway. I took it in for a change to 20-50 Dino and virtually ALL the oil drips stopped immediately!!

On the other side of that equation,....I was prepping my BMW R1100RT for a long 3 day ride to Arkansas about 10 years ago,.....and decided to change my final drive (shaft drive) to full synthetic. Left the next morning with my group,...and at our first stop,....I noticed that the final drive was now leaking.......onto my rear brake rotor and tire!!. I ended up having to install a new seal to fix the problem. I have numerous friends who have logged over 300K, 500K and in one case over 650,000 miles on unrebuilt original engines (all domestic V8s)....and not a one of them uses synthetic.....so,....personally, Im not sold on the idea of Synthetic.

I just change my oil when its time, generally 5-6,000 miles. On my Mitsubishi Montero that burns and leaks about a quart of oil every 200 miles (but never a breakdown of any kind at 238,000 miles),....I change it once a year.....and the inside of the engine is spotless.

I am a FedEx driver, we log 50k plus per year on our trucks/vans and its all stop and go fully loaded 8-12 hours a day engines running all day, lots of idle time, lots of full throttle starts and our engines, both gas and diesel, last well into the 300k range with the original engine.
We eat transmissions and brakes for lunch, but engines last forever.
Dino oil every 5-6,000 miles at the quick lube.
I use Rotella 15w-40 in both my Duramax and my 5.4L Triton V8 and do not need to add between oil changes.
The Durmax has over 200k and the Ford just shy of 70k.
The only reason to use full syn in my opinion is if you drive all expressway and want to go 10k+ between oil changes.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

i use Rotella 15w-40 =)

Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jycsalas
i use Rotella 15w-40 =)
And live in Paradise!!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

I can always count on you to add my DISCLAIMER when I forget! lol

Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jycsalas
I can always count on you to add my DISCLAIMER when I forget! lol
Always have to have the last word don't I?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright so I did it! Made the switch to 20w50 today. Can't really tell a difference so far, but I haven't really driven anywhere far. Gonna pressure wash the engine tonight so I can see if this takes care of my leaks.

I totally forgot what the part # is for the K&N filter so autozone's computer suggested at 2004 i think...Not too happy about that but it will do for 3k miles. I'll keep everyone posted if the oil leak stops.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpluncford21
We're not going to argue about this. We're not even going to address it again, but:and keep the name calling to yourself.
Hypocrite...I still have that private message you sent me Joseph threatening my life...be careful...your baby will be looking up to you soon as a role model.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you better find yourself a sense of humor...

Originally Posted by jpluncford21
We're not going to argue about this. We're not even going to address it again, but: Mike you have been a big help to me concerning my truck and am extremely impressed at your willingness to make yourself available with the community here. But there are very few people in this world I will let call me a fool, especially people who basically amount to being perfect strangers. A car is a car, and I have done what I have felt needed to be done thus far concerning maintenance. 60k service etc. I have a child on the way and you'll excuse me for considering doctors visits, baby food, and diapers to be more important than a coolant leak. I understand your concern about the cost of a new HG, engine, etc. But I am an adult and am very well aware of the costs. When I hit the lottery I will surely make sure that I have everything fixed and gold plated, and I'll even send you the reciepts if you want, but until then please take into consideration that people's priorities are different in life and keep the name calling to yourself.

Now, I've looked and can find the Castrol 20w50 here, so I think I'm gonna try it out just to see what happens. I change my oil every 3k to 3500 using syn anyway so I'm already used to the frequency. I was just curious what Bundu meant by not using that weight at my mileage. Thanks for the constructive advice guys. Spike, that's a great link. Def useful!
You had better find yourself a sense of humor...Mike is only trying make sure you get the point..It's a little like tough love.... I see by your signature you own a 04...and your looking to lift and tires...well, if your engine is toast, a lift wont make it look any better sitting in the driveway.... I have a 04 also that has been sitting in my driveway for months with a jackstand holding up the transmission as my engine is toast. I had a coolent leak i couldnt see and one of my hoses exploded.. It takes about 60 seconds to toast your engine on the freeway....completly destroyed my oil pump, main bearings, camshaft bearings etc... There is no small problem with these trucks... And i have owned 4 of them over the past 15 years...I am a fool..so if you own a LR you are as well unless you can just whip out that Black American Express Card out ....I think if you read threw the forums a bit you will realize we are all a bunch of fools.... Trust me , i have three children and i dont know what aggravates me more ... them or the truck....I think it's a tie...

Last edited by vandev; 05-21-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: NO HG LEAK!!! WALLET = HAPPY!!!! But oil question