Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Power at Radio Amplifier...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default No Power at Radio Amplifier...

Radio seems to work fine but no power at amplifier or ampconnector. Amp fuse was good. I couldn't find any bad fuses in the fuse panel. Does anybody have a pin-out diagram they can check and let me know what color wires are the power and which is the ground at the amp connector? Also, has anybody de-bugged an amp wiring issue and know if/where the power comes from?I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: No Power at Radio Amplifier...

I am willing to bet that your amp is dead. Power or not, it is just dead.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How common is it that these amplifiers crap out?

I took the amp apart and inspected the circuit board & components. Did not see anything that looked bad at first glance (have a little electronics background).I wanted to ensure it was getting power before I delved deeper into the amp or condemed it. It looks like it is powered from the radio, but there isn't any voltage at any leads at the amp connector. The radio powers on ok and puts out audio (faintly). I've played with the radio connectors and checked everything up there. If anybody canlook at a wiring diagram and trace the power back from the Amplifier, I'd be much appreciated.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

before you go any farther, make sure your dash contols have the volume all the way up. I have been thinking abou this, and this morning, I turned the dash control volume all the way down and the stereo all the way up. It was faint.

If I get time, I will check voltage on the amp pins to see what should be what...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having this same problem on a 2001 discovery. my amp kicked in once for a couple minutes. and then cut out again. Can this be the ground wire and if so, where is it?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

On my '97 the same thing happened, took it to best buy and circuit city and they both told me that the amp was dead. The head unit was fine, but the amp was toast.
My sub wasnt working nor my CD changer so I just replaced the head unit withKenwood CD unit with HD and Satalite radio. $235 out the door.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
5th Gear

My wife, being the mechanical genius that she is, heard a rattle near speaker on the drivers side of windshield. She gave it a whack (tech term?), and the sound came on. She then tested this by giving it another whack, the sound dropped. One more whack and the sound came back up. Any ideas as to what could be loose in this area? Are the speakers chained?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, I downloaded the RAVE CD and tracked back the wiring. Turns out there is a small cube relay just above the glove box (need to remove) thatenables power to the amplifier (yellowrelay on the side towards center console). Mine is marked R6K3. I tapped the relay a couple times with a screwdriver handle and low and behold the speakers crackled and poped. I took the relay apart, cleaned the contacts (they're bad). When I hold the contacts closed,the radio and ampall work fine. Great! Saved buying a new stereo! SOOOO... twofelons, checkyour relay. In your case it's probably just bad contacts, that's why it works when your wife taps the area on the dash on that side. You may only need to clean the contacts,or just preplace. Mine isn't 'pulling' so I'll have to replace.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey Mark,

I'm kinda at the same place with my amp. Does the head unit remote power go to the relay and not the factory amp?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

RamblingMan
Not sure what year you have, but, according to the 1998 wiring diagram (same year as mine), the power amplifier gets power from the power relay which is tucked up above the glove box. You need to remvoe the glove box to get at it. The relay gets power from two fuses at the main fuse panel: 10A fuse #3 (on the vertical row), and 15A fuse #4 (horizontal row). So, it's main power does not come from the radio.

The radio gets its power from the fuse #3 (same as above) and fuse #6 20A. If your radio comes on and you can hear music from the subwoofer, check for power at the power amplifier. Check positive at the light-green/purple wire and the black wire (ground). On mine, the amp isn't grounded, other than the body, but it's isolated. If no power at the amp, check the relay as listed above.

There's a guy that rebuilds land rover radios and amps (do a google search for Roverville usa). I emailed him but I won't need his services right now, fortunately. Also, if the above info doesn't help out, you may want to download the Disco manual at greenoval.com. Get manual #3. Open it with nero and burn the image (not the file) to a CD. When I say image, there's an option to do this in Nero. Then open the CD in windows explorer and click on the RAVE icon. It only works with acrobat v4. but its on the cd. Good luck.

Quick Reply: No Power at Radio Amplifier...