Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Power at Radio Amplifier...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: No Power at Radio Amplifier...

Just thought I'd follow up with my radio situation. I received the new relay ($16) for the power amplifier today and *YEAH* it did the trick!The radioworks great now. So, for those who's radio quits working, or if it gets crackly or cuts in/outcheck the relay.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

glad to hear you got it!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this also be the problem for a 99 disco II? I had some cuts in and out and then eventually stayed off, my deck doesnt turn on anymore... Is the relay you guys are speaking about behind the glove box in all Disco's?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Remove the glove box on your disco (just a few screws) and tap on the relays that are behind it, and above. Tap with a screwdriver handle and see if you hear it come on. On mine, it was the relay closest to the tranny tunnel. I believe the 99 also has this. If it's it, just pull out and replace. As a test, if I turned my radio up all the way (with engine off), I could hear the radio station faintly. That told me the radio still basically worked, but the amp wasn't. It's also possible, you may have issues with your amp. My guess is it's the relay ...first place to look anyway. Then there are some fuses you may need to look at. Might be a good time to download the Rave CD. Best of luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling

The rave CD will show which relay behind the glove box is the one that deals with the Radio? Sometimes i think i hear the Cd changer cycling through the radio but thats about it... I took the glove box off and the realize real quick that i had no idea what i am looking for... I downloaded the rave CD do you have a page or section to look at? If it is a relay do i order through the land rover dealership?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You've got to go to the electrical section for your year. Go to the very end of the section and it shows actual pictures of various electrical areas (like under the dash) and arrows for each relay.Honestly I don't know what page it's on. It's a cube relay about 1" cube. Mine was yellow. Like I said, just start tapping each one. If one starts making the radio work, that's the one! If not, you may want to look at the manual. I have a D1, but I also looked at the DII and I think it was about the same.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Three Wheeling

what does having your amp replaced cost? thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Are you talking abot the power amplifier (not antenna amplifier)? If so, are you 100% sure your amplifier needs replacing? Did you check the amplifier fuse, other radio fuses ...and more importantly quadrouple-check the amplifier relay as articulated above? If you haven't done so, I'd remove the relay, pop the relay coveroff and do a continuity test on the relay connections.You should be able to determine the electricity path and figure it out. I bet a lot of amps get replaced that aren't truely faulty. Of course, you need to troubleshoot the radio, fuses and connections too (there's a fuse on the back of my radio).

Otherwise,do a Google search, for Land Rover Radio repair, you'll get an outfit that fixes them. Read above to see if the outfit is listed (I'm not at my home PC now).Off the top of my headIthink it was about $80 or so for an amplifier exchange. But like I said, quadruple-check the items listed in this thread so you don'tspend $80 for nothing. It's really pretty simple if you have the Rave CD

[Rave CD - free download, google search it, then read through the archives here, I posted a good message on how to get it to work. Some guys spend hours goofing around to get it to work, just search/read my tutorial]

Good luck,

Old 08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

Mark,

My '00 DII's radio is on 1 radio station at low volume. It does not respond to any command, nor turn off. Do you think it is the amplifier?

Thanks in advance for your help.]

Albert

Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
8th Gear

All 11 of my radio speakers are poping cuting in/out. I have a 2002 Series II. I tried to locate the relay in the glove box and can't seem to find it. Does the series II have a relay? Anything else I could check?

Quick Reply: No Power at Radio Amplifier...