Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start again after changing CKP sensor

Old 01-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, lost my light outside but I’ll try again tomorrow. Like I said, no codes are showing. I checked compression but not in all cylinders. Do I need to? Would timing be off all of a sudden unless timing chain was broken? Is there an easy check for this? I’ll check all my connections back to the coil tomorrow before I do anything else to make sure no damage or something didn’t come off. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Wait...where was the sensor you changed?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Crankshaft sensor.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GregDisco2
Thanks No Doubt. I've got an inline spark checker somewhere. I'll start checking each wire to see if I have spark on any wire. I did run my scanner again, no new codes. Would a bad coil pack cause this issue? Do these just fail like this without warning?
Since it is night, use a windex spray bottle to cover your spark plug wires in water. Then have someone crank the motor while you look for sparks (leaky wires).

Then check your spark plug gaps in daytime.

Last edited by No Doubt; 01-20-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GregDisco2
Crankshaft sensor.
The one in the front?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Drifting

No. The crankshaft sensor is located behind the engine. I think you are referring to the camshaft sensor.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

If you changed the sensor and it ran fine for s bit than I would check that sensor again

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

He wouldn't have spark, if crank sensor was bad. He's saying he has spark.

Yes, l'd check a couple more cylinders for compression. You could be getting compression on that one cylinder, because both valves just happen to be closed (and staying that way, because timing chain is broke, no rotation of cam).

If you have spark, fuel (or ether) in cylinders...you need to verify compression and timing.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by The Deputy
He wouldn't have spark, if crank sensor was bad. He's saying he has spark.

Yes, l'd check a couple more cylinders for compression. You could be getting compression on that one cylinder, because both valves just happen to be closed (and staying that way, because timing chain is broke, no rotation of cam).

If you have spark, fuel (or ether) in cylinders...you need to verify compression and timing.

Brian.
if the sensor was on it's way out he would. Happened to me.
He has faint spark which technically would be a coil pack...but nothings hitting.
theres also a video on youtube explaining the same thing. He has spark at how many plugs?

did he install the new one correctly?
is it all the way in?
spacers?

I have a crank sensor on the shelf right now that's faulty and it's new. If I put it in the truck runs like crap. Shuts off at idle, misses all over the place.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 01-21-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Ok, my spark plug tester crapped out so I just picked one up af Harbour Freight. I tested every plug and I have spark on every one. I also tested compression and I got between 135-150 on every cylinder. I also changed the CKP sensor again but no good. If I try to crank too long it sounds like it is backfiring slightly (like deep in the engine) but still no hitting at all. I checked my battery at Advance and they said it was a little low but no bad cells. I have kept it on a charger since but it wears down quickly with all my testing. Could the battery have anything to do with it? I also hooked it up to the wife's Yukon and tried it so I didn't really focus on the battery. Not sure where to go now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start again after changing CKP sensor