Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wipers

Who can help me identify the relay for the wipers. If I hold the level, they work (on fast) but the wipers wont keep on working just normal by turning the dial... no slow, fast or intermitent

THanks

Old 05-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: No wipers

What year and model?
Mike

Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Sorry about that... I tought I had included on my signature to realized that I never SAVED my signature!

1995 Discovery I V8i

Old 05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

No problem, it just sometimes can make a difference.
I don't think that it is a relay causing your problem. If it were, you would have all functions for a limited time before the relay kicks in. You are about to go buy a new wiper switch, you have lost some of the switchs function.
Mike

Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Well I guess it helps if I give you some history to it. Perhaps is not a relay, perhaps is not a wiper switch... perhaps is a major electrical problem or a "single" relay somewhere cousing several problems.

I bought this Disco over a year ago. 2 years ago it was flooded while off-roading. They sold it due to some "minor electrical problems"... so they said.

Problems:
1.-No shaft for front differential
2.-No wipers unless you hold the level down (they wont come back down to the original position after releasing the level, the wipers will stop at any point)
3.-Not working cruise control
4.-High beams not working. If you pull the level, the high beams lit but they go off after you release the level. Low beam will be off too. After pulling and swhitching back to low beams, low beams lit just fine. (something similar to the wipers deal)
5.-No engine temperature gauge (had a burned mark) and was taken completely out ot the cluster.
6.-This one I don't know if is normal... The light for the cluster is always on. As long as the ignition swhitch is on, the light is on... even whit the headlights and partking lights switched off.

Soon after I bought it, the starter quit... selenoid replaced.
I bought (eBay) a temp gauge and replaced my self... now it works just fine (but now I have a SRS light on... after opening the cluster)
Wipers... never worked on it.
Alarm/Central locking system... you know the story
Hi beams... have not work on it.

Sorry for the long description... any insight!!

~Ed

Old 05-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

My vote is still for the wiper switch, even though the wiper stops any place, which would normaly indicate a bad stop switch inside the wiper motor, I still say your main wiper switch is bad.
On your headlights, if you turn them on, do your tail lights come on? If they don't, your headlight switch is fried also.
Sounds like they really took that truck for a swim.
Mike

Old 05-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Mike thanks for your help...

Yes, all other light work just fine... fron and rear. Parking lights, blinkers, stop, reverse, etc. Only the high beams won't stay on. As I explained, by pulling on the switch, the high beams turn on but as soon as the swtich is realeased, the high beams go off... all other light remain an as expected. Switching back to low beams brings everything back to normal.

I will see If I can get a hold of a junked wipers/headlights switch.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: BMWLR

Mike thanks for your help...

Yes, all other light work just fine... fron and rear. Parking lights, blinkers, stop, reverse, etc. Only the high beams won't stay on. As I explained, by pulling on the switch, the high beams turn on but as soon as the swtich is realeased, the high beams go off... all other light remain an as expected. Switching back to low beams brings everything back to normal.

I will see If I can get a hold of a junked wipers/headlights switch.
Make sure to check the used switchs for plastic cracks and hot spots.
There is a guy on , http://www.lrrforums.com/ that is partsing out a 96, you might check and see if they are the same parts and talk with him.
Mike

Old 05-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks... will check that out!

Old 05-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling

The wiper switch problem is the most likely. the other problems that are electrical. It sounds like one of the body ground is either rusted, loose, the other is that the cpu was damaged by the flooding. the srs light is a bear. rover still has not fully figured that out and it can be a frequent problem. The dealer said tho replace the cpu. the codes on mine were erased, and the cpu test. it had a single glitch in the cpu that was cause by a dead battery. The system itself was working good. the light is a pain. do a search and see if some else has any other inputs from the past. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff