Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal / Alarm Exhaust Gas Temp Range?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Normal / Alarm Exhaust Gas Temp Range?????

*New Member to the forum and to Landrover community*
so off the bat, long time jeep head and i just bought a landrover disco 2, 4.6L V8 with 112k odo. i've been told landrovers been making drivers into mechanics for years and i've already had first hand experience within a day of my purchase (transfer case broke, but is fixed now.)

Question: What is the normal exhaust gas temperature range for a v8 petrol engine? what is the critical exhaust gas temp (stop driving and pull over)?
I'm making a sheet for pressure and temps to keep in the car, easier to spot problems before it causes more damage.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

Probably makes more sense to watch your coolant temperature on these trucks, and there are endless threads on here covering everything you need to know about that.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

EGT isn't really a concern or a point that is monitored on gas engines(unlike diesel motors, which it sounds like you're more familiar with based on using the word petrol) exhaust temps will be what they will be and there's nothing to be done about them. There is no EGT sensor on these cars and I'm not sure I've heard of anyone adding any to them.

Like Mollusc says, coolant temp is what you should be watching, and that being said you should be in the range of 195-205 if everything is stock/original configs. If you're up above 215, that's the time to pull over and turn it off

Old 09-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
EGT isn't really a concern or a point that is monitored on gas engines(unlike diesel motors, which it sounds like you're more familiar with based on using the word petrol) exhaust temps will be what they will be and there's nothing to be done about them. There is no EGT sensor on these cars and I'm not sure I've heard of anyone adding any to them.

Like Mollusc says, coolant temp is what you should be watching, and that being said you should be in the range of 195-205 if everything is stock/original configs. If you're up above 215, that's the time to pull over and turn it off
ok well it sounds like i'm all set. using an OBD scanner connected to my phone. coolant temp from after driving down the highway was around 212 degrees F. seems awfully close the "pull over" set point. i just bought it from some used car lot, they say they've refurbished the engine but i dont trust them after the transfer case gave out. anyway, guess i should look into some sort of service

Old 09-15-2018, 02:31 AM
TReK

Two things that you can do to help bring that temperature down:
- change to the 180° thermostat
- dump the Dexcool (orange) coolant, flush, and change to regular green coolant

If you really want to get serious, change the viscous fan to an electric setup (plenty of write-ups here on that) and/or do an inline thermostat mod.

You will also continue to see high temps if your system isn't bled properly. Which it probably isn't.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by fleacz
ok well it sounds like i'm all set. using an OBD scanner connected to my phone. coolant temp from after driving down the highway was around 212 degrees F. seems awfully close the "pull over" set point. i just bought it from some used car lot, they say they've refurbished the engine but i dont trust them after the transfer case gave out. anyway, guess i should look into some sort of service
is the 212* with the AC on? and what were the ambient temps outside?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Two things that you can do to help bring that temperature down:
- change to the 180° thermostat
- dump the Dexcool (orange) coolant, flush, and change to regular green coolant

If you really want to get serious, change the viscous fan to an electric setup (plenty of write-ups here on that) and/or do an inline thermostat mod.

You will also continue to see high temps if your system isn't bled properly. Which it probably isn't.
just bled the system this morning. cracked the bleeder open and lifted the resevoir tank above the bleeder. added coolant for a bit, didn't see any air bubbles. the coolant in the system is the green stuff. i'm looking for 180 degree thermostat from duralast at autozone. any brand recommendations for the 180F thermo??

Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM
TReK
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Overlanding

Ok well i'm going to buy the low temp thermostat when i can and have the mechanic replace it while doing a radiator flush as well. the coolant temp when i'm on the highway doing +50 mph is between 208 and 210 degrees F (outside temp is around 90 to 95). it doesn't seem to want to creep up anymore so i can breath easy not expecting it to overheat at any moment..for now.