Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noticed a small leak from front axle/ driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default noticed a small leak from front axle/ driveshaft

I noticed a small leak on the ground and traced it to the front axle/ drive shaft. I am curious if I can just change out a gasket or if I am needing a front flange seal kit, which I am seeing range from $76 to well over $100. The front drive shaft was replaced with a new grease-able drive shaft from Justin at Lucky8 on July 4th. At the time I had zero leaks on the her and there wasn't any seepage from the front axle. I have attached a picture where the leak is. Thank you all in advance for the guidance.

Attached Thumbnails noticed a small leak from front axle/ driveshaft-axle.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by wynhd
I noticed a small leak on the ground and traced it to the front axle/ drive shaft. I am curious if I can just change out a gasket or if I am needing a front flange seal kit, which I am seeing range from $76 to well over $100. The front drive shaft was replaced with a new grease-able drive shaft from Justin at Lucky8 on July 4th. At the time I had zero leaks on the her and there wasn't any seepage from the front axle. I have attached a picture where the leak is. Thank you all in advance for the guidance.
It's the diff pinion seal (LR Part # FTC5258 or FTC5258G the OEM is a Corteco seal but if sold by a indy it'll be FTC5258G which is the same on both diffs. (I'm staring at this seal on my desk as I type - I've got similar oil leaks - it's an LR)

Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling

@OffroadFrance, thank you. Will start looking for that part.I am assuming its pretty straight forward to replace.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by wynhd
@OffroadFrance, thank you. Will start looking for that part.I am assuming its pretty straight forward to replace.
There are only two possible snags that may cause problems

1) Undoing the nut that holds the drive shaft flange onto the pinion (remember to torque it back on to the correct setting as it has a theoretical preload)

2) Removing the Rotoflex centreing spigot from the rear driveshaft flange. You may be lucky and it comes out easily or unlucky and it's a PITA to remove. LR fit them with a form of Loctite so it'll pay you to spray the periphery of the centreing spigot the night before with a release agent or acetone (nail varnish remover but don't tell the wife I told you ) and then an hour before you go to work on it again.

For undoing the diff pinion nuts you'll need either another helper (the wife ) to apply the brakes with the engine ticking over for the power brakes servo (NOT IN GEAR) or prop something between the drivers seat frame onto the brake pedal. This will lock the diffs from turning when undoing the pinion nuts.

Obviously you'll need to unbolt the 4 bolts and take the driveshafts off the diff flanges both front and back (or Rotoflex at the back) and tie them up out of your way. Don't pull them out of the sliders but just ensure you tie them up with electrical tie wraps/zip fasteners. When extracting the old seals be careful not to scatch or damage the seal surround or seating. Checkout your RAVE Manual for any other parts you may need, felt washer or new self locking nyloc type nut. You may need a puller to remove the pinion flanges it's a matter of luck as some tap off with a mallet and others are stubborn and need a puller.

Once the truck is jacked up on axle stands the job should take around a total of 2-3 hours for the pair depending how lucky you are with the rear centreing spigot.

Good luck and have fun ........... if you can call it that

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-28-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling

@OffroadFrance, thank you for the write up, ordered the part (all-makes/ terrafirma) yesterday and will install it next week.