Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster - the wonder drug that works wonders!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Octane Booster - the wonder drug that works wonders!

Quote: "Note: putting it in a motorcycle makes the exhaust smell bad."

That would make me wonder what it may do to the cats? M/C has no cats so you can smell what coming out more. As teens we used to put veggie oil in our two strokem/c tanks to make them smell like two stroke race bikes.Then realized it was probably gumming up the piston rings LOL!The cats on our Disco's are already marginal at best and prone to clogging. Otherwise this "potion" sounds good.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Fuel additives in no way have an effect on your cars as long as your engine has good plugs and wires and can burn the additive. When you consider that a fuel additive enhances our fuel our engine will run better and use the fuel better.
Mike

Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. I think I'm going to try this Lucas stuff you talk about just to see what it does. I'm not a big advocate of "magical additives". Kinda look down on them as "snake oil" but so many people have raved about the Lucas stuff. I'm kind of a perfectionist and figure that the car should be engineered to run without such "gimmicks", but Rovers seem to be a different beast. I've also remembered that the minimumgas pumpoctane rating in the UK is 95, so I'm sure the LR engineers didn't really plan on the engine having to make do with 91 octane at best.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Octane Booster is purely a "quality of life" thing. The vehicle runs and feels much more powerful. The engine is smoother. Lucas is the best of em. I noticed the improvement immediately, and you will too. As for additives generally, I have always been a big believer in using Marvels Mystery Oil in the crankcase and in the gas tank. A clean engine is a healthy engine.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: Aquaholic

Acetone is an oxygenator - different animal from toluene.

I've never used Sea Foam, so I can't compare.

I haven't put it in the Disco yet because I'm waiting to resolve a cold start knock I have and because I don't have any - I need to get more.
So what is going on with your cold morning knock, are you using a cheap oil filter that is draining down over night?
Mike
I'm waiting for the regional rep to contact me so he can listen to my knock. Oil has always been changed at the dealer.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling

How often does everyone put an additive thru the system? If I'm going to run a Lucas Octane Booster through (which I plan to do), is it a once a month kind of treatment in liew of SeaFoam or an everytime I fill up thing? I guess what $80 a tank if you're already paying $70?

-ugly