Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd brake pedal feel

Hi guys. I noticed that when first braking the pedal feel is firm, but does go down quite a bit. I then noticed that if I start braking, then let go of the brake and apply again immediately (pump the brake pedal once) the pedal feel is really firm with almost no travel and the brakes apply very hard. Is this normal? I've changed the brake fluid and bled the system with the same result. Anyone else notice this. The truck is new to me so I'm unfamiliar with the brakes acting any differently and I haven't driven any other Discos.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Echoman
Hi guys. I noticed that when first braking the pedal feel is firm, but does go down quite a bit. I then noticed that if I start braking, then let go of the brake and apply again immediately (pump the brake pedal once) the pedal feel is really firm with almost no travel and the brakes apply very hard. Is this normal? I've changed the brake fluid and bled the system with the same result. Anyone else notice this. The truck is new to me so I'm unfamiliar with the brakes acting any differently and I haven't driven any other Discos.
Did you do a normal brake bleed like you would any other vehicle, or did you use a scanner tool to bleed the ABS System too?

Please read the following thread for more info about doing the job without a scanner: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...very-ii-59654/ - Note, Disco Mike mentions that it can take up to 7 bleeds to get all the air out.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is check valve or entire booster itself.
Napa has the check valve, I believe the part number is 89000.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling

I bled the brakes with a hand pump bleeder, per usual. I didn't bleed at the abs module. The brake pedal feel is the same as before, but that's not to say that it didn't have air in the lines when I bought it. I'll try the check valve as well.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Is there a way to inspect the check valve?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 AM
Three Wheeling

So I took the vacuum line out of the intake and blew into it, no air went in (which is good from what I read). I then tried to suck air out of it and wasn't able to draw any air out (which I read that I should have been able to if the check valve was working properly). I took the valve out which released audible vacuum. I sprayed a bit of electronics cleaner into the valve (the only spray handy that would dry quickly) and I then was able to blow air into the valve. I tried again at the other end of the vacuum line and was able to draw air out. I'll drive it today and see how it goes. The check valve was impossible to pull out of the vacuum line, so I'm not sure how to remove it in case I need to change it out.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you might be on the right track. Good catch @primussucks. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that too...

The fact that vacuum was released when you took the valve out says your booster is likely ok, or it would have already leaked that out.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I read on some Subaru forums that people clean and lubricate them with WD40. I guess there is a Subaru out there that has these seize up on them frequently. I think I'd rather just replace the part since it's not expensive. My question is if anyone has had any luck removing this thing from the vacuum line. I can turn it and have tried pulling it out with no luck. I don't want to risk breaking the line. I'm considering cutting it just below the valve since there would still be plenty of line to attach a new one to without pulling on it when installed in the booster.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

sound like the typical disco two step, have you flushed your complete system and replaced to old rubber brake lines.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
sound like the typical disco two step, have you flushed your complete system and replaced to old rubber brake lines.
I did flush everything, but ended up with the same pedal feel. I hadn't changed the lines yet since it only has 46k miles, but I do forget that it's 10 years old. Perhaps it's time for ss lines.