Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off road with ABS offline.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road with ABS offline.

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere in this forum, I just can't seem to find stuff readily using the search here..
I've been offroad in my wrangler, but never in the disco II and was wondering (since my ABS, TC, HDC lights are now always on due to an 'internal electrical' problem in the modulator) what difference does this make? Does the discovery rely a lot on TC offroad? Is it just as good with the modulator offline? I have the 99 disco II and have read here about locking the differential manually... what does this contribute to the offroad experience? I'm not planning anything crazy, just wanna know my limitations. The vehicle is stock.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Off road with ABS offline.

Well it is my understanbding that Rover elminated the CDL because with the TC they felt it just wasnt needed for the average person.
I have heard two different things, 1. the TC will still work with the 3 amigos on. 2. I have also heard that the TC will not work with the 3 amigos on.
So I have no idea if it will work at all or not.

By locking the center differential you increase your traction, it will send equal amounts of power to both axles, with it un-locked it will only send power to the axle with the least resistance.
You cna lock it with a 10mm wrench, do not drive with it locked on dry roads though, to much stress and strain on the driveline that way. And it will turn like the Queen Mary.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Jim, have you actually gone and had the ABS codes read and cleared? Do your brakes squeak? If you do a panic stop from 30 MPG, do you feel your ABS pulsate thru the barke pedal?
Then get back to me.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Jim, have you actually gone and had the ABS codes read and cleared? Do your brakes squeak? If you do a panic stop from 30 MPG, do you feel your ABS pulsate thru the barke pedal?
Then get back to me.
I have EBC greenstuff pads and no squeal. They may be dusty pads, I dunno. I did have the codes read and *cleared* while I was having an ignition issue diagnosed. I do not recall the actual code, but it was an 'electrical fault'. The tech told me what he suspected was that the valves inside the ABS modulator were sticking when they receive a signal and the ABS ecu interprets that as an electrical fault, instead of an actual electrical problem. He said some dealerships will replace the bottom section of the modulator but in a short while (in his experience) the problem returns, so he recommended replacing the modulator. He told me he'd cleared it and after a short drive the lights should go out, but they never did. I dunno if they were inadvertently not cleared or the fault just persists... I'm open to second opinions...

I have no pulsing ABS. I stomped hard on the brakes once (for dramatic reasons when my wife and I were having a very animated argument about something stupid - it annoys the hell out of her when I do that, so I do it often.) but there was no ABS pulse. I tried again before this post and it just smoothly dove to a stop. So I think maybe I'm SOL as far as the modulator goes...

Is TC a big part of the Disco's off road performance?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

On a DII yes the TC is a big part of the trucks off road prowness.

You can get a shuttle vlave repair kit for about $800, that is cheaper than a new ABS modulator.
The shuttle valve kit rebuilds the ABS modulator, the insides go bad not the outside, good as new after the fix.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com for a used ABS modulator.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
4wd Low

What of the cheaper shuttle valve kit for $67.95 from Atlantic British? I was just reading some success stories here about it. I think for that price, I'll go ahead and try it & have the Codes reset. I'm planning on doing the head gasket kit soon anyway cause I'm progresively losing coolant behind the engine block. Is the 'Composite' gasket kit from Atlantic British the best way to go, anyone? Other than a good torque wrench and new bolts, any surprises I should look out for? I've done the confounded coils before, and I've done head gaskets on a different vehicle so I feel pretty confident I can handle it...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Don't bother with the cheap repair kit, it's maybe 20% successful.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JimScream

What of the cheaper shuttle valve kit for $67.95 from Atlantic British? I was just reading some success stories here about it. I think for that price, I'll go ahead and try it & have the Codes reset. I'm planning on doing the head gasket kit soon anyway cause I'm progresively losing coolant behind the engine block. Is the 'Composite' gasket kit from Atlantic British the best way to go, anyone? Other than a good torque wrench and new bolts, any surprises I should look out for? I've done the confounded coils before, and I've done head gaskets on a different vehicle so I feel pretty confident I can handle it...
You may want to PM me your tele number so we can tallk. You are going in all the wrong directions.
First the shuttle valve you are speaking of will not fix your problem. Most likely you will need the $800 want that has a far better repair % compared to the shoty term 20% from the original kit.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would sayat $67 dollars as opposed to $800, its DEF worth a 20% shot imo !!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I know, I just hate to people waste their money.