Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 05:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I had another customer who got a bad radiator. Good first step to remove thermostat element and see if that addresses it. I did have one thermostat that was opening too early (mis-marked I think, seemed to be a 160). If the element is bad of course the warranty is lifetime.

The following users liked this post:
andino (02-17-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:49 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gasket Issue?

I completed a head gasket repair a few weeks ago, and so far everything has been solid except for one thing. When I completed the top end tear down, I cleaned everything very well. I now am seeing a little coolant bypass on the in-line mod. I really don’t know if it was there before; logic tells me it must have been since I didn’t even touch the inline piece and the hardware is still super tight.

I went with the silicone gasket upgrade recommended by some others on here in order to have a reusable item in case I wanted to swap around t-stats to find the best one by season.

My question is: has anyone else had any issues with coolant leaking out of the inline mod with the silicone/metal upgraded gaskets?

Also, to be very clear, I’m not saying there is an issue with the inline mod - it keeps my ‘03 running sooo much cooler. But given that I learned about the reusable gasket here, I thought I’d ask. Also, I’ve never taken the inline mod apart since it was first installed.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Can you take a video with it running at temperature? The traces look like it is coming from the gasket, however I think I have had about a 1% occurence rate of some porosity in the casting where they will leak through the aluminum (weird I know, buying Motorad castings too, best I can find). Its all Lifetime warranty, so happy to send replacement to get you squared away.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the quick response, Extinct. Sure thing, I’ll try to do that in the next day or two. One thing to note (and which I forgot to mention before) is that, as far as I can tell, it’s only when the engine is running under higher RPMs, and presumably higher pressure from the pump. I watched it idling for over half an hour after I did the head gaskets (first time nerves), and I’ve only seen evidence of it after higher-rev test drives. I haven’t yet seen it actually happening. So this will be a good chance to confirm my suspicions.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:58 AM
Received 1,147 Likes on 793 Posts

@CODisco I can help I had a small leak with the silicone gasket, it was a fit issue, it can be a bit fiddly to get in exactly right.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Thanks, Richard, that’s kinda what I was wondering. It certainly makes sense that it could be a little fickle and causing the issue.

Extinct, I did try to film it leaking this morning (after coming to full temp), but I couldn’t get it to flow in all of the places that the water stains in the photos show it is leaking. I was only able to get a few drops to leak.

I will try to get a video later in the day tomorrow, once the whole engine compartment is hot, just to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks to you both for the help and suggestions.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kit and well priced!
After installing and refilling the system I noticed my temps going up to 195 then quickly down to 170. Have the 180 thermostat. This happens within the space of a minute or two after warming up. The first couple of times I was thinking it was air in the system but it does it repeatedly. Is this normal for the new setup?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

That does not happen to either of my discos.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:14 AM
Drifting

I can confirm that definitely does not happen with my '03 with the 180° t-stat. Almost sounds like it the thermostat might be opening late, or perhaps installed backwards?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:53 AM
Received 1,147 Likes on 793 Posts

@jtz54 I can think of 2 things thermostat in backwards or the bypass hole at the bottom. My inline hits 185-186 as it warms up then drops to 177ish on the 1st thermostat open then cycles normally there after.

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread