Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 01:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I pulled the thermostat to make sure it was orientated correctly (spring towards engine). Since I had a spare 180 swapped that one in there and went for a drive (sure is nice not dropping a gallon of coolant doing this now). This time the temp on the scangauge went up to 145 and stayed there between 145-150?? When I got back I noticed coolant leaking from the setup then figured out the thermostat must be misaligned from the silicone unigasket. While re-assembling I put the thermostat in first (into the angled piece) then the gasket followed by the straight end. Warmed up engine and temp went to 184 then settled back between 173-180. Is that the correct placement of the thermostat when using the silicone gasket? Have to take it for a longer drive before I can say this issue is solved. Thanks for the inputs!

Old 03-17-2022, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Glad you got it sorted. The gasket can go on either side, but spring goes toward engine. Best to put the vent hole towards the top to help with the bleeding procedure. But overall is sounds like either way you are in good shape now.

Yes, I think one of the best features is the ability to pull the thermostat and run without any thermostat in 5 minutes without losing any coolant trailside.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
JUKE179r (03-19-2022), Richard Gallant (03-18-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
@Extinct - Getting an error code because my 04 Disco is too cold (less than 175F) Should I swap out the thermostat with a higher temp unit during the winter or is it just an idiot code that has no impact on performance?
Coming back from Moab I am running between 165-174 and continuous getting the “P0126 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Operation” error. I clear it and it comes back. I would think the thermostat would not open until it reached 180 degrees so I am a little puzzled by these temps. I wasn’t exactly driving in subfreezing temperatures. Any thoughts on what/if I need to do about it?

Old 03-20-2022, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Sounds like it is opening a little early, Let me ship you a replacement.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Sounds like it is opening a little early, Let me ship you a replacement.
thank you Extinct!

Old 04-18-2022, 10:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just picked up a kit

Well! I grabbed a kit from you and was in the process of getting new hose's together to do the job right. Found a new upper radiator hose locally on Saturday. And well, I blew a upper hose today running to grab a part for work.

So i had the rig towed home and started to figure out a fix to get me to work tomorrow. I didn't order the reusable gasket, wish i had and I will be ordering one as a spare. As i have to get to work tomorrow, I used for the first time Peratex "the right stuff" 1 min gasket masker. I let it "dry" for 30min while i sorted out new hoses to block and radiator and cut to fit. need to order new lower ones. I was able to get all the factory clamps onto the piping.

I've had a ultra gauge and a coolant leak for a while so i've seen a bit of a range of temps. with that being said i drove around my neighbor hood maybe 10miles hit 60 for a few minutes and with a 185* thermostat i hardly got over 185*F. I'm in ATL and it was about 55* out. I really can't wait to drive to work tomorrow and see the temps i get.

Solid product!

Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered your kit and an Ultra Gauge to keep an eye on the temps on my new to me 2004 DR2.

The following users liked this post:
CODisco (04-23-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

These are some awful bull**** parts. Looks like it was designed by someone who never saw a thermostat housing. First off there is no relief cut into the housing to allow the thermostat to sit in. So the fix is to sandwich the thermo between 2 paper gaskets with rtv? Trash. The 2 halves will not touch on the ears where the bolts go through. Second, the thermostat is smaller than the other aluminum half. The only thing holding it from flopping around is the paper gasket. I had to rig up a mount so I could machine a relief into the half and use 1 gasket. Now I'm just worried the paper will tear and the thermo will twist sideways. I was going to weld nubs on the other half to keep it secured. 2/10 would not recommend.

​​​​

Old 05-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

@RoverMasterTech I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. You created a solution to a problem that does not exist. While the thermostat could move during assembly, it is a pretty slim chance. If you assemble on the bench and confirm your work there will not be a problem.

If however you try to install in the operating position, it could most certainly move but that is true with the change you made as well.

If you take your time think about what you are doing it is a simple install, and thermostat does not "flop around".

However you do have a valid point if you leave the housing in place and have to swap the thermostat there is enough space for some movement, but this is easily resolved with a dab of RTV in a few of spots and patience. It is not like swapping thermostats is a regular occurance.
The reusable silicone gasket, at least the one I used completely resolves the issue as it has an indent for the thermostat.

I assembled mine 4 times before final install without issue, I am a little OCD about getting things right, the last time was in the installed position

Old 05-07-2022, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@RoverMasterTech

I assembled mine 4 times before final install without issue, I am a little OCD about getting things right, the last time was in the installed position
You're making my point. There doesn't have to be any worry or 4 tries to assemble. There doesn't need to be dry time for rtv. There doesn't need to be rtv. Just cut a relief into the housing for the thermo to sit in. It's just the right way to do it. Set thermo in relief, add gasket, bolt together. Done.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (05-07-2022)

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread