Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 06:47 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know the model of the housing? Or is it a custom mould?

Mine arrived cracked and leaking but everything else is perfect, seems a waste to get replacement housing shipped all the way from the US (and I need to get the truck back on the road by next weekend...) if I can get an equivalent in Europe.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:23 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackShama
Anyone know the model of the housing? Or is it a custom mould?

Mine arrived cracked and leaking but everything else is perfect, seems a waste to get replacement housing shipped all the way from the US (and I need to get the truck back on the road by next weekend...) if I can get an equivalent in Europe.
If the housing arrived damaged I would go to the Support section of https://inlinethermostats.com and indicate damaged goods were received. Drop them a line and see if they can do anything for you.

PSA: Always inspect delivered components immediately upon unpacking. If damage is observed take photos. I work in customer service/Support for a pharmaceutical equipment company specializing in containment. A good percentage of my cases involve damaged goods upon delivery, and the more diligent the end user inspection upon delivery the higher likelihood of corrective action. Most of the time damage occurs during shipment and these big Logistic companies have well controlled investigative procedures. If shipments aren't inspected immediate with photos of the unboxing you cant stick it to the Logistics Company. Trust me… corporations want to stick it to the logistics company.

obviously, this rigidity is not necessarily required for the inline thermostat mods prepared by Extinct’s operation, but I am sure knowing the chosen logistics company damaged the goods is worth knowing. Hit them up and see what comes of it.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Oh of course - emailed already, just wanted to save time and the waste of shipping something halfway round the world if I could get a replacement component relatively cheap locally.

On inspection it just looks like a small surface stress/stretch mark from moulding, so I thought nothing of it. Unfortuantely after installing I nearly got a face full of pressurised coolant - so there must have been a tiny split on the interior out of sight as well.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

We have been having issues the castings from Motorad lately, small percentage but unfortunately it is porosity in the castings and not able to see the issue before it is installed and pressurized. Email me directly or send an email to info@inlinethermostats and I will work with you to get you one as quickly as possible. If it is just seeping out of pinholes you can run the coolant bottle cap one full turn loose from fully tight and the system will not build pressure, reducing the leakage. If the split is larger now, we will need to just rush you another one.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:45 PM
Drifting

No worries at all, here’s a pic in case it helps you check for defects on other housings. Right on the inside of the bend of the connection for the hose.

The leak itself is quite small but it’s aligned perfectly with the fan so sprays about 3-4 feet over the (right hand drive) driver-side of the vehicle. Gave me a lil surprise when I stepped out from behind the door after turning the ignition

Old 08-08-2022, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
We have been having issues the castings from Motorad lately, small percentage but unfortunately it is porosity in the castings and not able to see the issue before it is installed and pressurized. Email me directly or send an email to info@inlinethermostats and I will work with you to get you one as quickly as possible. If it is just seeping out of pinholes you can run the coolant bottle cap one full turn loose from fully tight and the system will not build pressure, reducing the leakage. If the split is larger now, we will need to just rush you another one.
Just replying to your PM - I have tried sending two emails (and one by contact form on the website, two via the email address in your PM) so not sure why they're not coming through. Order is 448.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Got it, reaching out now.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Email sent, replacement part sent. You should have by the 18th.

The following 3 users liked this post by Extinct:
acg (08-09-2022), BlackShama (08-18-2022), Richard Gallant (08-09-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 04:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know if the GlowShift sensor can be installed in the regular sensor-down thermostat with enough clearance? I have the sensor port sealed with silicone, so I’d have to remove that and get a reducer. I’m wondering if the temperature readings from the sensor that’s between the AC compressor and the alternator are going to be the same as what you’d get installing a sensor in the thermostat itself, or in the middle of the upper radiator hose. I’ll do whichever gives the best reading. I’m thinking I’ll get the GlowShift dual gauge (oil pressure and coolant temperature) and install the sensor in the thermostat, but I have the thermostat that has the sensor port facing the fan shroud and I’m not sure if it’ll fit.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Does anyone know if the GlowShift sensor can be installed in the regular sensor-down thermostat with enough clearance? I have the sensor port sealed with silicone, so I’d have to remove that and get a reducer. I’m wondering if the temperature readings from the sensor that’s between the AC compressor and the alternator are going to be the same as what you’d get installing a sensor in the thermostat itself, or in the middle of the upper radiator hose. I’ll do whichever gives the best reading. I’m thinking I’ll get the GlowShift dual gauge (oil pressure and coolant temperature) and install the sensor in the thermostat, but I have the thermostat that has the sensor port facing the fan shroud and I’m not sure if it’ll fit.

I currently have one installed with no thermostat for testing purposes, I will be putting the thermostat back in soon. At least on my down facing one I needed a 3/8 to 1/8 adapter.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (08-15-2022)

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread