Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

No setting for that, only way around it is to put early ECU or flash your ECU with early program.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed

Installed , have engine shut off at about 185°
about lost here,
Installed because engine running warm , but not overheating... Link to..

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/engine-shut-thermostat-open-114366/

Last edited by SDEnfield; 10-30-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Folks,

I had the majority of the cooling system replaced on my 2001 d2 by IE Rovers in Lake Elisornor. New Radiator (Nissen), water pump, fan clutch, upper and lower hoses and the inline tstat mod with I believe the 180ºf stat. On Friday I drove it home with no issues. On Saturday I drove it around my local area doing errands and glanced at the Scan Gauge II and it was reading 215ºf which honestly freaked me out. Ed at IE Rovers said I should be concerned at 211ºf and that's when the aux fan kicks on. I've noticed the Scan Gauge has a tendency to glitch. Glitch meaning it will get stuck on a temp and not move, when I shut the vehicle down and restart it will resume with the temp fluctuations which I believe are typical. Correct me if I'm wrong but the electrical signal from the factory temp sensor through the ECU to the Scan Gauge II has a time lag? I personally think a analog temp sensor from the tstat housing into the cabin is the way to go.

Any recommendations for a temp sensor that will fit into the Extinct's tstat mod housing? Obviously the cable has to be long enough and a means to mount the gauge.

Continuing with with the cooling issue. This Saturday I warmed up the rig and it idled at 140ºf for a while, I drove it on the flats and it rose to 209ºf before the tstat opened and the temp went down to 180ºf I took it up a sustained grade and it never went above 195ºf keep in mind the OSA temp was ~58ºf

ATM I going to try and get it up to 211ºf to verify that the electric fan kicks on? Have any of you wired that fan up to a manual switch to turn it on earlier?

I understand that the d2 runs hotter than a d1. I believe I read where Extinct said Land Rover increased the combustion chamber heat to pass at the time higher emissions standards. But I also know that overheating these rigs can be a death blow. Perhaps, I'm fussing too much and this is normal for the Discovery 2?

Thoughts are welcome.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Just about any of the manual guages work, I personally use the Innovate Motorsports MTX-D https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...-specification Oil pressure and temp in one gauge. You should also keep a small IR pen
Amazon Amazon
in the cabin, any time you see it go that high check the hoses, thermostat housing and water neck coming from the manifold. Several members have had their temp sensor glitch on them, I also had one go bad and stick at a high #.

After you verify the readings are accurate if the thermostat is not opening till 209 let me know and I will send a replacement, no way should it get that high at highway speed ever. At long idle in the hot summer maybe, but not driving.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Just about any of the manual gauges work, I personally use the Innovate Motorsports MTX-D https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...-specification Oil pressure and temp in one gauge. You should also keep a small IR pen https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-I...s%2C276&sr=8-3 in the cabin, any time you see it go that high check the hoses, thermostat housing and water neck coming from the manifold. Several members have had their temp sensor glitch on them, I also had one go bad and stick at a high #.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have plenty of IR temp sensors I can use, that's a good idea and one I will utilize. I think I'll go with a analog temp sensor. I appreciate the recommendations.

After you verify the readings are accurate if the thermostat is not opening till 209 let me know and I will send a replacement, no way should it get that high at highway speed ever. At long idle in the hot summer maybe, but not driving.
To be clear, I never reached 209f at highway speed. I reached 215f on Saturday putting around town. On Monday after initial warm up to 140f I drove it towards the big Tujunga canyon behind my home and it hit 209f before suddenly dropping. I climbed the hills in sport mode and the scan gauge II never went over 195f.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Just about any of the manual guages work, I personally use the Innovate Motorsports MTX-D https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...-specification Oil pressure and temp in one gauge. You should also keep a small IR pen https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-I...s%2C276&sr=8-3 in the cabin, any time you see it go that high check the hoses, thermostat housing and water neck coming from the manifold. Several members have had their temp sensor glitch on them, I also had one go bad and stick at a high #.

Also what size is the port on the housing? So I can get the appropriate probe/thread.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Black.Rhino
Also what size is the port on the housing? So I can get the appropriate probe/thread.
3/8" NPT, but you can order an adapter bushing if your sensor is smaller as most are. Port up option is the better option if you are going to run the external sensor. Have a look at the pics on the web site.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

3/8" NPT, but you can order an adapter bushing if your sensor is smaller as most are. Port up option is the better option if you are going to run the external sensor. Have a look at the pics on the web site.
Great! Funny I went back to the first part of this thread and saw you mentioned the port size. Yes the housing is facing up. This is the temp gauge I decided on. I also ordered the 3/8 brass adapter.

https://www.autometer.com/2-water-te...h-ul-base.html

Old 11-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Just about any of the manual guages work, I personally use the Innovate Motorsports MTX-D https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...-specification Oil pressure and temp in one gauge. You should also keep a small IR pen https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-I...s%2C276&sr=8-3 in the cabin, any time you see it go that high check the hoses, thermostat housing and water neck coming from the manifold. Several members have had their temp sensor glitch on them, I also had one go bad and stick at a high #.

Hi, yesterday on the highway the temp rose to 211ºf before dropping in temp. Feels like a tstat issue to me. Would you mind send another one out? Thx.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Black.Rhino
Hi, yesterday on the highway the temp rose to 211ºf before dropping in temp. Feels like a tstat issue to me. Would you mind send another one out? Thx.
Let's confirm its not a sensor issue first, go ahead and remove the thermostat element from the housing and see if everything is good. Also, go ahead and message me directly with you order # or email so I know where to send it, don't necessarily know forum avatar relative to emails or thermostat order.

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread