Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?

Thanks for the input guys. I have to replace it...the cats are worn out and the baffles are ratteling...driving me crazy[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holly ****!!! is this a teenager Jeep forum or what ??? What you guys are forgetting has nothing to do with O2 sensors, or ECUs, it absolutely has to do with the fact that removing the cats would be an obsolute irresponsible move. Cats are there for emissions, period!!!

I am not and do notwant to sound like a tree huger, but this is 2008, and there's a limit to being stupid. It's bad enough that we drive one the worst vehicles in term of fuel economy on the road today withoutpushing the enveloppe of irresponsibility.

With this said, I'm glad DuplinDisco that you are considering replacing the cats, cause this idea definitely wasn't the brightess one you've had.

The Land Rover crowd has an history of treading lightly and respecting the environment and their fellow men. That is why it was one one the most important scores during the Camel trophy. I suggest we let the stupid ideas to the Jeep crowd andfollow theLand Rover tradition.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Mudding

I'm going to take the high road on this one and not respond to your babble.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Darover

Holly ****!!! is this a teenager Jeep forum or what ??? What you guys are forgetting has nothing to do with O2 sensors, or ECUs, it absolutely has to do with the fact that removing the cats would be an obsolute irresponsible move. Cats are there for emissions, period!!!

I am not and do notwant to sound like a tree huger, but this is 2008, and there's a limit to being stupid. It's bad enough that we drive one the worst vehicles in term of fuel economy on the road today withoutpushing the enveloppe of irresponsibility.

With this said, I'm glad DuplinDisco that you are considering replacing the cats, cause this idea definitely wasn't the brightess one you've had.

The Land Rover crowd has an history of treading lightly and respecting the environment and their fellow men. That is why it was one one the most important scores during the Camel trophy. I suggest we let the stupid ideas to the Jeep crowd andfollow theLand Rover tradition.
Tree hugger ;-)

I agree to a point. That is why I also mentioned 200 cell cats. They still reduce the pollutants, but free up much power.
[ol][*]Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2[*]Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2[*]Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: 2CxHy + (2x+y/2)O2 → 2xCO2 + yH2O [/ol]

The thing that gets me is why did the majority of states rule out the traditional visual inspection? Almost all inspections are now done via an OBDII reading. This reading has no idea if the car is running clean with or with out cats.

You really think the 500,000 diesel trucks that idle every nightat truck stops in the USA alone are running clean? Or would pass a traditional inspection? No way in hell.

I am not one to want toruin the planet, but if the government is willing (and does)to turn it's head the other way, so am I.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Babble ??? I'll admit that I might have over reacted a tinny bit. But I just couldn't believe that this option was really being considered. Especially on a Land rover forum....Well, at least this here Land Rover forum.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Mudding

Babble ??? I'll admit that I might have over reacted a tinny bit. But I just couldn't believe that this option was really being considered. Especially on a Land rover forum....Well, at least this here Land Rover forum.
My problem wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm thick skinned but I like to get on these forums as a get away and avoid getting into e-arguments as much as possible.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Winching

Also you might want to consider that the Cat converts posionous emissions to non-toxic levels, with a secondary function of reducing greenhouse gasses to less potent compounds.

Secondly, before you try and play the environmental card for removing/gutting the cats, you should realize that one single cargo ship pulling into port releases as much CO2 and NOx as 350,000 cars. Go focus on that, not on one guy pulling a cat for the occasional offroading excursion.

Gasonline burning engines are already realitively clean, and the cat is not cleaning much more, just reducing the toxicity levels of the outcoming gasses.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: DuplinDisco

My problem wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm thick skinned but I like to get on these forums as a get away and avoid getting into e-arguments as much as possible.
What you are doing is wrong, it is irresponsible and against both the state and federal laws.
I won't allow stuff to be posted on this site that is not legal and or responsible.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got Magnaflow high flow cats installed for $325. Go to their website and find a dealer. You can buy them yourself if you are going to weld them in yourself.

You aren't going to get much improvement by removing them, and to me, this is the cheapest, most responsible way to go....

Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: DuplinDisco

What you are doing is wrong, it is irresponsible and against both the state and federal laws.
I won't allow stuff to be posted on this site that is not legal and or responsible.
I'm not doing anything..but actually its not against the law for an off-road only vehicle.

Quick Reply: Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?