Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

I got Magnaflow high flow cats installed for $325. Go to their website and find a dealer. You can buy them yourself if you are going to weld them in yourself.

You aren't going to get much improvement by removing them, and to me, this is the cheapest, most responsible way to go....
Thanks..I'll check those out

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no prob. I had gone to Midas to see about getting them replaced, and it was $475 for one. They wouldn't do the pair unless they could hear both of them rattling. A new Y-pipe is extremely expensive, and shipping will just add to that. A few have done the Magnaflows on here and like them. They are universal, but fit rather well. I cut off my resonator and turned the pipe down for sound. I think it sounds good...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: DuplinDisco

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: Darover

Babble ??? I'll admit that I might have over reacted a tinny bit. But I just couldn't believe that this option was really being considered. Especially on a Land rover forum....Well, at least this here Land Rover forum.
My problem wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm thick skinned but I like to get on these forums as a get away and avoid getting into e-arguments as much as possible.
What you are doing is wrong, it is irresponsible and against both the state and federal laws.
I won't allow stuff to be posted on this site that is not legal and or responsible.
I'm not doing anything..but actually its not against the law for an off-road only vehicle.
YA, if you tow it everywhere you go.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Mudding

no prob. I had gone to Midas to see about getting them replaced, and it was $475 for one. They wouldn't do the pair unless they could hear both of them rattling. A new Y-pipe is extremely expensive, and shipping will just add to that. A few have done the Magnaflows on here and like them. They are universal, but fit rather well. I cut off my resonator and turned the pipe down for sound. I think it sounds good...
So you went with the magnaflow muffler as well?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Darover

Babble ??? I'll admit that I might have over reacted a tinny bit. But I just couldn't believe that this option was really being considered. Especially on a Land rover forum....Well, at least this here Land Rover forum.
My problem wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm thick skinned but I like to get on these forums as a get away and avoid getting into e-arguments as much as possible.
What you are doing is wrong, it is irresponsible and against both the state and federal laws.
I won't allow stuff to be posted on this site that is not legal and or responsible.
I'm not doing anything..but actually its not against the law for an off-road only vehicle.
YA, if you tow it everywhere you go.
Planned on trailering it with the Duramax...anyway, I'm not trying to do something illegal or kill the environment. Just had a question that somehow has gotten way out of hand.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no, not yet. Stock muffler is loud enough for me. You would be suprised how much that back resonator cuts out sound. I just looked in mine and it was enough for me to want to get it off of there. It was a little plugged and rusty. One of these days I might open it up and take the chambers out and put it back on for a more stock look.....

One thing to watch for is too much sound. Being an offroad goat, though, it won't matter. If you are driving it to the trails, it can resonate inside pretty bad...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is ridiculous to hear. I hope once you hear my short story it will change your mind... here we go:

my friend, a bit crazy, said he wanted to do the EXACT same thing you want to do. We went to the local indy shop, I was against is from the start... anyways the mech. said all i would do is make you run EXTREMELY rich and it would eventually ruin a bunch of stuff specifically because of the rover design. He said he wouldn't even do it. But my friend is savy with cars so my mech. decided to at least give him the directions to do it, even though he was very clear on how bad it was. So my friend did the work and first time out on the trail: Engine light comes on and guess what RUNNING RICH! Not only that the rear o2 sensors are shot, he said "they where already out" yeah right... anyways, it was a short day on the trails because even though he had a full tank it was almost empty half way through our day, if even that. It suck and I never wanted to take his truck again, mine was NO DIFFERENT than his and his sounded HORRIBLE! After some time to forget about that we went again. This time his truck broke, somewhere deep it was bad and had to be pulled all the way down BY ME! That was scary enough. We brought it to the indy mech again. He and I both had this TOLD YA SO! look on our faces. Casted him $2000 to fix, would have been $3000 at LR. He was also told it was illegal so my mech. put everything back to normal, he fixed everything my friend did for free, with a smile of course... Not the $2000 part.

The the moral of this story is!!!!??? DONT DO IT!!!! its will make you truck a piece of trash and you wont like it TRUST ME TRUST ME! These things dont need stuff like that done to them, they are amazing off road! Spend your money elsewhere! If you are having problems with it let us know and we will tell you what is up, but PLEASE dont do what you are wanting.

If you do it, don't come on here when it breaks down and tell us about it because all the "top dogs" on here warned you. We might help, but we will be laughing. hysterically.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

This is ridiculous to hear. I hope once you hear my short story it will change your mind... here we go:

my friend, a bit crazy, said he wanted to do the EXACT same thing you want to do. We went to the local indy shop, I was against is from the start... anyways the mech. said all i would do is make you run EXTREMELY rich and it would eventually ruin a bunch of stuff specifically because of the rover design. He said he wouldn't even do it. But my friend is savy with cars so my mech. decided to at least give him the directions to do it, even though he was very clear on how bad it was. So my friend did the work and first time out on the trail: Engine light comes on and guess what RUNNING RICH! Not only that the rear o2 sensors are shot, he said "they where already out" yeah right... anyways, it was a short day on the trails because even though he had a full tank it was almost empty half way through our day, if even that. It suck and I never wanted to take his truck again, mine was NO DIFFERENT than his and his sounded HORRIBLE! After some time to forget about that we went again. This time his truck broke, somewhere deep it was bad and had to be pulled all the way down BY ME! That was scary enough. We brought it to the indy mech again. He and I both had this TOLD YA SO! look on our faces. Casted him $2000 to fix, would have been $3000 at LR. He was also told it was illegal so my mech. put everything back to normal, he fixed everything my friend did for free, with a smile of course... Not the $2000 part.

The the moral of this story is!!!!??? DONT DO IT!!!! its will make you truck a piece of trash and you wont like it TRUST ME TRUST ME! These things dont need stuff like that done to them, they are amazing off road! Spend your money elsewhere! If you are having problems with it let us know and we will tell you what is up, but PLEASE dont do what you are wanting.

If you do it, don't come on here when it breaks down and tell us about it because all the "top dogs" on here warned you. We might help, but we will be laughing. hysterically.

A few posts up you will see I decide not to do it [sm=itsok.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Mudding

no, not yet. Stock muffler is loud enough for me. You would be suprised how much that back resonator cuts out sound. I just looked in mine and it was enough for me to want to get it off of there. It was a little plugged and rusty. One of these days I might open it up and take the chambers out and put it back on for a more stock look.....

One thing to watch for is too much sound. Being an offroad goat, though, it won't matter. If you are driving it to the trails, it can resonate inside pretty bad...
I think my muffler is about shot so I think I'm going to do it all at once. Planned on doing a lift but looks like I'm going to have to hold off and get the exhaust issue fixed. Its not hurting anything but its annoying beyond belief.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A few posts up you will see I decide not to do it
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THANK GOODNESS! Sorry i was in the middle of typing it when you posted that! Good decision you will be happy with.

Quick Reply: Offroad Disco Exhaust? Y Pipe with no Cats?