Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, definitely 3,000 mile oil changes are too often, and are mainly benefiting the likes of the oil companies and Jiffy Lube. My 2013 Passat has changes every 10K, and Porsche are using 15K (both with synthetic oil).

So I have precisely the opposite strategy - put in the best oil you can get, and change it every 7.5K to 10K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_mile_myth

Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Because Rotella is better in Discos and Shell doesn't make a 10w Rotella.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/
They do, Shell Rotella T5 semi-synthetic 10w/40.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Got me on that one, but hey, I've only driven a Disco for 110k so what do I know.

Bottom line is the T5 is not readily available at WalMart for $12.99/gallon.

You will have to alter your strategy for your LR though, or it wont be lasting you long if you wait 7.5 - 10k. That is fine for newer overhead cam engines, but you don't have one of those in the Disco. You have a 1962 Flat tappet pushrod Buick 215 in there bored and stroked to produce more power and heat from its aluminium block.

3k is not out of line for these engines.

I go 4K between changes because I have one of those engines that has required an extra quart per 1000 miles since it was brand new. I attribute it to LR breaking in the engine with Castrol 5w30 synthetic.

Anyway I figure I can push an extra 1000 miles between oil changes since it gets an extra gallon of fresh oil between every change.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil? i like cooking with olive for flavor, frying with peanut and weson when i feel freaky.

As far as My rover, it has 125000 on it and I haven't checked it yet, i figure some day it might need it, but from what I have read the cooling system, heads or drive shaft will take it out first, so why waste the cash.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This poor dead horse of a topic has been beaten into hamburger, thrown on a bun, sold to a poor schmuck as a bigmac, and summarily flushed down a sewer.

1) Hit the search button

2) Crack a cold Beverage of your choosing.

*note - steps 1 & 2 can be done out of order*

3) Come to the conclusion that it probably isn't going to make you faster, younger, better looking, or have a longer *ahem* Richard's nickname *ahem* no matter what kind of oil you have.

4) troll your local Evil Empire (also referred to as "wal-mart" in certain places) and get the best deal you can on the stuff.

5) Change it often, and get on with your life. Take the SWMBO out to dinner, play with the kids/dogs/cats/livestock. Take up needlepoint. Compose a Haiku. Re-gift all the fruitcake from your in-laws. Give your teenagers a hard time about something. Wash your rover. Wash your dog. Do the laundry. Sing opera in your boxers in the backyard.

the end.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil?.....After my hemorroid surgery I hated having to drink that one table spoon of mineral oil before every meal.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
This poor dead horse of a topic has been beaten into hamburger, thrown on a bun, sold to a poor schmuck as a bigmac, and summarily flushed down a sewer.

1) Hit the search button

2) Crack a cold Beverage of your choosing.

*note - steps 1 & 2 can be done out of order*

3) Come to the conclusion that it probably isn't going to make you faster, younger, better looking, or have a longer *ahem* Richard's nickname *ahem* no matter what kind of oil you have.

4) troll your local Evil Empire (also referred to as "wal-mart" in certain places) and get the best deal you can on the stuff.

5) Change it often, and get on with your life. Take the SWMBO out to dinner, play with the kids/dogs/cats/livestock. Take up needlepoint. Compose a Haiku. Re-gift all the fruitcake from your in-laws. Give your teenagers a hard time about something. Wash your rover. Wash your dog. Do the laundry. Sing opera in your boxers in the backyard.

the end.
Excellent

Sorry though, I couldn't resist the temptation - hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Mudding

Funniest thing I've seen for a while!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

dr mordo: "1) These are extremely dirty engines, so extended oil change intervals are not a good idea."

Since when is one engine more "dirty" than another? If an engine, Rover or otherwise, is well maintained, kept good care of, oil and filters changed frequently, the engine itself isn't "dirty," at least not in my experience. If well cared for, as mentioned above, and torn down for inspection at intervals (commonly done in racing engines), you will see that the Rover engine's interior is as clean as any other, at least in my experience.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Mudding

Yes it is hard to imagine it being dirtier than a diesel, and again, my VW turbo-diesel has 10K oil change intervals - and has a delicate turbocharger to lubricate. Even if I dropped the intervals to 6K, it really is hard to come to the conclusion that 3K is needed.

I have seen results of oil testing, and synthetic oil at 50K miles is essentially indistinguishable from new - viscosity, lubricity, etc - no change. The real issue is filtration - when is the oil filter saturated?

Quick Reply: Which oil is best?