Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil light question

Sorry if this is a repost, I am at work and cannot search right now.

2003 Disco 2, 63500 miles
Short story of what happened. Monday night, way home from work oil light comes on. Pull into gas station, check oil, little low. Add 1/2 qt. Oil light goes out everything fine.
This morning on the way to work, oil light comes on again. Stop at gas station, oil lever looks good....loud ticking noise from under hood. Remove oil fill cap and looks to be white milky on inside of it. Once again pull dipstick and oil level and color looks good. No milky crap. Oil light stays on.

Question.....is it possible for the oil pump to intermittently work? Yes the Vin falls under the dreaded bad block range. Any help would be great.....

Thanks
-Darin

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Mudding

Hello,
I just went through this. There is no intermittent oil pump functioning. Your oil pump is toast. You need a new oil pump (front cover) ASAP. You will probably have some other wear too. Thread here........ https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24866

-Aaron
2003 SE7 102,000 miles
nearly $10,000 in repairs since purchased used in '06

Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Ya I didn't think so......
I only paid $9000 for the truck this past summer, from a Rover Dealer no less, no way am I sticking the money for a new motor into it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Well, I have some requests out to several places for a motor, used and rebuilt. No matter what I will need to replace the motor as I want to get rid of this one even if the internals are ok. Not going to bandaide it and hope it does not fail again.
I will keep everyone posted as to what I find.
Thanks bearcat for the info and link. Hope yours keeps going for you.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Another qick question. Will a 2004 motor fit in a 2003? I am pretty sure it will but want to make sure.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Mudding

yes it will.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you. I am working on getting one now. Roverland is out at his time but Atlantic Salvage has one.

I am going to bring the truck in to the mechanic first just to make sure it is the oil pump issue. More to ease my mind then anything else. LOL

Last edited by reddevildemo; 12-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the dipstick and drip some of the oil onto a black piece of cardboard look at the oil in the sun if you see metallic particles that your motor is making metal.

If you start the engine and the oil light comes on shut the engine off as your only going to seize it and damage otherwise possibly good parts, usually the oil pump outer rotor is the part thats damaged and by fitting a new set of gears and a new front cover and filing down the top guide pin , this can restore the fit to center the new oil pump parts.
An 04 will fit into a 03

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the advice, I will try that oil on cardboard trick.

I did do a quick start up and shut down last night. I checked the dip stick before hand, oil light stayed on, shut it down ASAP. I checked the dip stick again and it looked as if the oil was circulating as it was all up and down the stick. I am not sure what to make of it.

I will not be driving it until I can get it into a mechanic after the 1st of the year.
I'll let you know what the oil in sunlight tells me.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Update. I installed the new engine from Roverland parts. 2004 w/34,000mi on it. Everything went smooth but now I have an idle issue. Starts up normal idle and kicks dow, After running for a while it wants to idle @ 1300-1500rpm. If I start it while still warm it starts and idles @ 800 or so but then drive and stop, whether in Park or drive it idles high 1300-1500. Anyone have any ideas on what I may have missed? Stepper motor on the new engine?

Quick Reply: Oil light question