Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sensor in oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017 | 01:27 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default oil pressure sensor in oil cooler?

Thinking about adding an oil cooler utilizing a factory tranny cooler. Have some posts saved that list part numbers for hoses and such, but when i searched for tranny coolers from an '04 disco i found that there are two versions. one with a sensor and one without. Would the sensor port in the cooler be a viable position for an oil pressure sending unit for an auxiliary gauge? or is it too far from the motor?

Old 02-16-2017 | 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling

That's a good question. One of the experts will chime in shortly I'm sure but you'd have to imagine pressure could be derived from anywhere within the system. I'm speculating but if it's a sealed, closed system I'd wager pressure should be constant. But I've come to find common sense analysis so often goes out the window.....I'd guess there are places that allow for a more consistently accurate measurement for various reasons but.... I'm curious now....

Old 02-16-2017 | 02:27 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I'm not a learned man in the field of fluid dynamics. My first thought is that pressure will be different with any given flow number. I.e. pressure will be lower in the areas with higher flow, large diameter cooler hoses, but block to head passages, etc, and higher in low flow areas like bearing surface ports.

After all, pressure really isn't the important number to be concerned about, it's flow. But I belive manufacturers achieve the flow they want with tolerances and oil weight and then the resulting oil pressure is their benchmark. So 30 weight oil flows through this size gap at 210 degrees at this flow number which is achieved at an average of such and such psi. Pressure changes depending on flow, which changes depending on oil weight and engine control surface tolerances.

Old 02-16-2017 | 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ROB99DISCOSD
That's a good question. One of the experts will chime in shortly I'm sure but you'd have to imagine pressure could be derived from anywhere within the system. I'm speculating but if it's a sealed, closed system I'd wager pressure should be constant. But I've come to find common sense analysis so often goes out the window.....I'd guess there are places that allow for a more consistently accurate measurement for various reasons but.... I'm curious now....
I'm not sure if you remember Chubbs posting this:

http://www.roverware.us/oil-pressure-sender-t-piece/

This will allow you to tee a sender into your line. You can remove the plug where the factory oil cooler formerly attached and use this tee to add a new sender. Or you can remove the current sender and insert the tee and put current sender in tee, then attach your new cooler line.

If you want direct pressure readings I would remove the plug and use that port for separate sender. Another option for pressure sensor sender is an oil filter plate adapter.

The two factory ports are side by side on passenger side(NAS) of block, near front corner of block, left of water pump. Factory sender installed in one, other plugged.

Last edited by PalmettoDisco; 02-16-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2017 | 02:45 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Yeah I'm not a learned man in the field of fluid dynamics. My first thought is that pressure will be different with any given flow number. I.e. pressure will be lower in the areas with higher flow, large diameter cooler hoses, but block to head passages, etc, and higher in low flow areas like bearing surface ports.

After all, pressure really isn't the important number to be concerned about, it's flow. But I belive manufacturers achieve the flow they want with tolerances and oil weight and then the resulting oil pressure is their benchmark. So 30 weight oil flows through this size gap at 210 degrees at this flow number which is achieved at an average of such and such psi. Pressure changes depending on flow, which changes depending on oil weight and engine control surface tolerances.
So thats it! Assuming that you have installed the the pressure gauge, then you have a base reading of value upon installation. Any future low reading from the base reading you aquired means you are dropping pressure in the entire system. So it does not matter where you place the sensor since you have to follow the initial reading as a reference.

Gerry

Old 02-16-2017 | 02:55 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
So thats it! Assuming that you have installed the the pressure gauge, then you have a base reading of value upon installation. Any future low reading from the base reading you aquired means you are dropping pressure in the entire system. So it does not matter where you place the sensor since you have to follow the initial reading as a reference.

Gerry
i think you have the winning thought there lol. i really wish there was a way to feed a pressure reading to an ultragauge. its really aggravating that LR didn't see fit to provide the computer with basic engine health data.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (02-16-2017)