Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump?

Around Christmas, my family and I were headed up into the mountains to get a Christmas tree when the oil light came on and we were forced to pull over. Unfortunately, we were on the highway and it took a moment for us to do so safely, and by the time we stopped (really, about a minute or two) the engine was sounding pretty rough. We all know what it sounds like when an engine is starved of oil, so I won't bore you with a bunch of onomatopoeia, but the engine was still running despite the noise. I had it towed home, and because my wife hauls four kids around with this vehicle each week, we went and picked her up a new car the next day.

So here's my dilemma: The poor ol' green monster has just been sitting, parked out front for the last couple of months (holidays, time, money, kids, etc) and it's time to get her taken care of. It's got around 170k on the clock, so it's no spring chicken here. I guess I'm just looking for advice on what to do with it. I'm assuming the oil pump died on me, and it doesn't seem an awful thing to replace, but is it worth shelling out the money on it? Is the likelihood that there's a LOT more damage done internally that would make an oil pump replacement a waste of money if I'm just going to scrap the poor thing? (I'm not intending to invest time or money in an engine rebuild or replacement.)

What are the options here? What am I overlooking? I'm really trying to figure out the best use of time (big family doesn't leave a lot of it!) and money, and to walk away with as much of both/either as possible.

To note: I'm capable of and have the tools for all minor and many major vehicle repairs. I'm not a real mechanic, but I play a pretty decent one on TV.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Chances of damage are high. Chances of engine killing damage... It's possible it could still live.

First thing to do is to get the front cover off and see how bad the oil pump exploded. Go to my signature and under the write UPS link there is a detailed write up with pictures to replacing the oil pump. Follow those steps to get the front cover off for inspection. If the front cover is salvageable, then I'd replace the pump as well as the cranks and con-rod bearings. RoverMasterTech did a write up on that with the engine still in, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Now, if the oil pump blew up and destroyed the front cover too... You're in for a lot of cost. That front cover is several hundred dollars unless you get lucky and either Abran or Paul Grant has one used.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My oil pump blew in the drive way, and I do mean blew it was in like twenty pieces when I pulled it out. It took out the front cover and sheared the woodruff key. I got everything for the rebuild from Lucky8 and got a used front cover from Tarheel Rover. All in all I only spent $200 in parts to do the oil pump job with a used front cover. It's not a hard job, it just takes time. Call Erik at lucky 8 and find a used front cover and the truck can be back on the road for $200 plus time.

Here is the write up I did when mine went.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ver-off-76750/

Old 03-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the responses. Really good write-ups there, gentlemen. Much appreciated!

It doesn't look like an awful job, for just the pump rebuild. I've been deeper than that into my Audi on more than one occasion (timing belt replacements tend to run about 8-10 hours of labor at a shop, if you go that route...) so this looks easy enough to tackle. I can do the bearings while I'm in there, I suppose.

My biggest concern is tossing that kind of cash (and time) into the truck and finding out it's still got a long road of work ahead of it, especially on the top end. That's more time and money on what amounts to, essentially, my fifth vehicle. :/

Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you love it, fix it. If you have it for a mantle piece, sell it to someone who will covet and fix it. Lot's of LR owners don't care about costs or time and make them live again and again.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

throw a oil pump and timing chain in it, and see what it sounds like.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

While the oil pan is down you'll have a good chance to look for metal shavings which will indicate, obviously, serious engine damage. Couldn't hurt to remove a crank cap or two and inspect the bearings. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to change crank and rod bearings while you have easy access. The bearing set is cheap all you need is more time to do the work.

I successfully performed this task with the engine in the vehicle and its not too bad of a job. Only thing you cannot easily do with the engine in place is cam bearings... unless someone has developed a trick I'm not aware of.

The following users liked this post:
samurainigel (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
If you love it, fix it. If you have it for a mantle piece, sell it to someone who will covet and fix it. Lot's of LR owners don't care about costs or time and make them live again and again.
Well it WASN'T a mantle piece, since the wife was daily driving it with all the kids, we take it camping and on larger family trips, up into the mountains, etc. But since I had to get her back on the road that weekend, she's got a new vehicle and I don't see her going back. I'd love to hang on to it, or at least repair it so I can get good coin out of it when I go to sell it, so I'm really just trying to figure out what makes the most financial sense. It's tough to find people that will covet one of these trucks enough to come buy one that's parked out from and not running. Most would rather start with one that they can at least drive home.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would want to put an oil pressure gauge on it before I even take it apart.
what if you have pressure at the pump and your loosing pressure at the top end,
it would be a lot of work for nothing

Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would want to put an oil pressure gauge on it before I even take it apart.
what if you have pressure at the pump and your loosing pressure at the top end,
it would be a lot of work for nothing
That's a really good point. I also have no idea where to check for oil pressure at these locations. Any good advice on how to do this would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Oil pump?