Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY6584
So how difficult would it be to swap this 01 4.0L that Spike found...

USED ENGINE WITH WARRANTY DISCOVERY 2001 99K 4.0L | eBay

...into my 04? How difficult/expensive is a ECU flashing?

I mean for $1695 for the engine and $800 in labor I'm looking at $2500 to get back on the road with a 1 year warranty. Not bad...
I think PTSchram will do it for under $200 for just the displacement change, and under $300 for a good tuning/cleanup. He's on here I believe, so hopefully he will chime in.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You do not have to have the ecu flashed for the 4.0, you just wont have the same power as the 4.6, even with the re-flash you will still have power loss.
But yes, I forget to mention (OMG THE WORLDS GOING TO END BECAUSE I FORGOT TO COSS MY "T'S" AND DOT MY "I'S"!!) that you will need a SAI engine or swap your heads and SAI parts to the "new" engine.
Not a big deal since you are going to be putting new head gaskets into any used engine you buy anyway and the 4.6 and 4.0 use the same heads.
SAI means secondary air injection, its a emissions device.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its strange how he described it to me, driving down the road and loss of power, running rough but still running then sprayed oil all over the place, the way he described it sounded like he dropped a ring. I haven’t seen it yet but I'm going to get my hands on it tues and should have a much better idea what’s going on. I have no idea what is going with the timing plate cover. Haven’t played with the discos at all so I'm sure I'll be back on here after I start digging around. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with buying any used engine is that you really don't know what you are getting. Even remanufactured I'd question the heck out of what really has been remanufactured. Unfortunatly turner didn't have any short or long blocks but this would be your best bet if you intend to keep the ride for sometime. I would go balistic if I dropped 3000.00 on a used engine and it have me problems when I could have a great turner engine for 4500-5000.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
4wd Low

Yea after this I have no idea how long he would keep it even if I did put a good engine in it. I need to get my hands on it first to figure out whats going on. I'll know a lot more when I look at it and drop the pan

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Not a big deal since you are going to be putting new head gaskets into any used engine you buy anyway
Again, more assumptions.

If you want to void the warranty on the used engine you will do that. It's obvious you haven't bought any used motors with warranties. Not a singe one I've seen will cover them once you've opened them up. You need to change the water pump and timing belt (if it's a belt motor) and put it in if you want the warranty.

Originally Posted by Spike555
(OMG THE WORLDS GOING TO END BECAUSE I FORGOT TO COSS MY "T'S" AND DOT MY "I'S"!!)
(OMG I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE TRUCK RUNS LIKE **** IF YOU FORGET THAT LAST PART.

OMG SOMEONE NEEDS HELP ON A MULTI THOUSAND DOLLAR PROJECT AND IM GIVING THEM INFORMATION FROM WHAT I"VE GATHERED FROM OTHER PEOPLES POSTS ON THIS FORUM SINCE I DONT EVEN OWN A DII AND DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WORKS THIS FIRST HAND. )

See, I can play too. We've been through this before, Spike. It's nice of you to answer questions, but when someone needs advice, tossing out what you've synthesized from reading a service manual and forums, never having done this yet posting as if this is something you have and would casually do over a weekend is quite misleading. It's even worse when you are wrong and give out incorrect advice.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Overlanding

I appreciate all the advice. My buddy Adeso is gonna help me tow this thing to my house and we're gonna pull it apart and figure out what's going on with it.

I was looking at the Turner Engines. Is it possible to put a diesel in this thing?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Winching

I was looking at the Turner Engines. Is it possible to put a diesel in this thing?
It's possible to put any motor in anything. All it takes is money and time.

Are you asking if putting a diesel into it is something reasonable to do financially, for the time investment required, and whether it will be both reasonable as a daily driver and able to be registered in your state and pass emissions? That answer is no.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DarylJ
It's possible to put any motor in anything. All it takes is money and time.

Are you asking if putting a diesel into it is something reasonable to do financially, for the time investment required, and whether it will be both reasonable as a daily driver and able to be registered in your state and pass emissions? That answer is no.
Yeah after reading some posts on here it seems it's definitely not cost effective. My car is registered in Florida so emissions wouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Winching

My car is registered in Florida so emissions wouldn't be a problem.
Yes it would. Part of the visual inspection is to ensure all emissions devices are still in place (this is a federal minimum standard which the state would lose highway funding over should they not do it). Since you would have to remove some and change others for a diesel, the expected components per how the vehicle is registered wouldn't be there. So you'd have to get the vehicle re-registered as a diesel. Because no diesel Discos were sold in the US, it would have to be a manufactured title which would require it to be up the the diesel emissions standards as of the date of registration, which isn't going to be feasible unless you put a new diesel motor in it.

The only places you can get away without the re-registration are states that only inspect on title transfer, like Maryland. Which means you just created a monster you can never sell.

Yes, paperwork nightmare.

Many people have gone through the time and expense of engine swaps on many vehicles only to find that they can't get them registered/inspected anymore. It's not something to figure out later. It's something that can and likely will dictate your build.

In any case, you get the point. As someone who's done this before (80s Intertrashional diesel into a 76....and then a 74 F250 due to emissions issues, LS1 into a 944), none of it is as simple as it seems due to rampant soul-sucking bureaucracy.

Quick Reply: Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.