Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Again, more assumptions.

If you want to void the warranty on the used engine you will do that. It's obvious you haven't bought any used motors with warranties. Not a singe one I've seen will cover them once you've opened them up. You need to change the water pump and timing belt (if it's a belt motor) and put it in if you want the warranty.

(OMG I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE TRUCK RUNS LIKE **** IF YOU FORGET THAT LAST PART.

OMG SOMEONE NEEDS HELP ON A MULTI THOUSAND DOLLAR PROJECT AND IM GIVING THEM INFORMATION FROM WHAT I"VE GATHERED FROM OTHER PEOPLES POSTS ON THIS FORUM SINCE I DONT EVEN OWN A DII AND DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WORKS THIS FIRST HAND. )

See, I can play too. We've been through this before, Spike. It's nice of you to answer questions, but when someone needs advice, tossing out what you've synthesized from reading a service manual and forums, never having done this yet posting as if this is something you have and would casually do over a weekend is quite misleading. It's even worse when you are wrong and give out incorrect advice.

I like this guy, he's fun.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Darylj I've owned cars in Florida for the past 10 years and I have never had to have the car inspected... whether it be registering, reregistering, or titling. To this day no one has ever inspected my car or done an emissions test.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY6584
Hey Darylj I've owned cars in Florida for the past 10 years and I have never had to have the car inspected... whether it be registering, reregistering, or titling. To this day no one has ever inspected my car or done an emissions test.
I just double checked on this, and it appears that they dropped the inspection (like Maryland) since I had to deal with it (which was more than a decade ago). What I just read says they still do have an inspection for out of state vehicles coming in.

So in that case, Florida and Maryland would be tops for crazy re-powers. The way it SHOULD be.

It still doesn't make it a financially viable option, and you'll never be able to sell it out of state, but at least you can skip the paperwork.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
I just double checked on this, and it appears that they dropped the inspection (like Maryland) since I had to deal with it (which was more than a decade ago). What I just read says they still do have an inspection for out of state vehicles coming in.

So in that case, Florida and Maryland would be tops for crazy re-powers. The way it SHOULD be.

It still doesn't make it a financially viable option, and you'll never be able to sell it out of state, but at least you can skip the paperwork.
As a fellow FL vehicle owner, I can agree that i've never had a car inspected for anything other than returning a rental car.

I also bought a GA titled D1 (last year), drove it to FL and got it registered with nothing being looked at but the title...all I had to do was get a dealership or bank to notarize my request form in which they only check the VIN and then stamp it. Done. And depending on where you take it, they might just stamp it and get you out of their place to deal with business.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Fly6584, Where are you located in Mississippi? I'm in Birmingham and there is a decent mechanic shop here in town who brought a service guy over from England. I've only bought parts from them, but I've heard good things about them. Mainly that their prices are extremely fair and they'll shoot you straight.

Here's their info-

Duffy's Garage : Home

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAKDisco
Fly6584, Where are you located in Mississippi? I'm in Birmingham and there is a decent mechanic shop here in town who brought a service guy over from England. I've only bought parts from them, but I've heard good things about them. Mainly that their prices are extremely fair and they'll shoot you straight.

Here's their info-

Duffy's Garage : Home
x2 on Duffy's Garage. I too am in B'ham. I typically don't let mechanics work on my trucks unless its something I can't do (which hasn't happened yet), but I would let Brad work on my Disco based on what some friends of mine have said that use him.

As for prices, they are reasonable for the work they do, but your'e not going to save much money. Then again, going someplace cheap is going to end up costing you waaaaay more.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
4wd Low

Might have to look that place up, can they do a engine rebuild? I can do the easy part of taking the engine out/putting it back in but doing a full rebuild is something I can't do with the stuff I have here.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by adeso
Might have to look that place up, can they do a engine rebuild? I can do the easy part of taking the engine out/putting it back in but doing a full rebuild is something I can't do with the stuff I have here.
I'll call him tomorrow Andy.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They definitely can rebuild a motor. He will typically have 5-6 different Discos in his shop in various states of repair.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
4wd Low

I'll try to get over there in the AM to drop the pan and take a look at what happend, then I'll call him. That will be nice to have someone that close that can build the engine, if its not fragged too bad

Quick Reply: Oil pump in my 04 Disco II failed last night.