Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question, anti wear additives

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil question, anti wear additives

I know everyone has their own opinions on which oil is best and probably the most important thing is regular oil and filter changes. I've been running the synthtec, Royal Purple which I usually buy when I see a good price or have a discount coupon that gets me a reasonable price. I tend to do the oilchanges at 4000 miles.

But I spoke with another Land Rover owner who has been driving Range Rovers for a number of years who swears by Shell Rotella. He said he read some articles in a British Rover magazine that said that modern oils do not have the same wear inhibitors as they used to because modern engines are designed differently. It said that the Rover 4 and 4.6 engines are based on the old Buick model and that with out certain zinc additives gauling will appear on high wear parts like the cam shaft and the major bearings. It said that Shell Rotella is the only standard type of oil that still has the antiwear zinc additives in it. I used to use Shell Rotella when I had a diesel Isuzu Trooper and always liked it but I usually had to go to a truck stop to buy it. I assume many diesel trucks use it because of the high wear that diesel engines are subject to. The article mentioned that many synthetics like Mobil One do have good wear inhibitors but that the cost did not make sense if you change your oil regualarily as you should for a Land Rover.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Oil question, anti wear additives

PM me your tele number, this can be a long reply.
Mike

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's valuable information DiscoMike, some of us might like to learn what you have to say.
If possible can you guys briefly discuss it here?
We might learn a thing or two, or at least give us a summary.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Agreed, DiscoRom. My dad's been doing the oil changes in my/our Disco up till this point with dyno oil and I'd like to start doing things right before it's too late.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

quit hording information,,,

jerks

Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: Chrisinhouston

I know everyone has their own opinions on which oil is best and probably the most important thing is regular oil and filter changes. I've been running the synthtec, Royal Purple which I usually buy when I see a good price or have a discount coupon that gets me a reasonable price. I tend to do the oil changes at 4000 miles.

But I spoke with another Land Rover owner who has been driving Range Rovers for a number of years who swears by Shell Rotella. He said he read some articles in a British Rover magazine that said that modern oils do not have the same wear inhibitors as they used to because modern engines are designed differently. It said that the Rover 4 and 4.6 engines are based on the old Buick model and that with out certain zinc additives gauling will appear on high wear parts like the cam shaft and the major bearings. It said that Shell Rotella is the only standard type of oil that still has the antiwear zinc additives in it. I used to use Shell Rotella when I had a diesel Isuzu Trooper and always liked it but I usually had to go to a truck stop to buy it. I assume many diesel trucks use it because of the high wear that diesel engines are subject to. The article mentioned that many synthetics like Mobil One do have good wear inhibitors but that the cost did not make sense if you change your oil regualarily as you should for a Land Rover.

Any thoughts on this?

That is bull. I can assure you Royal Purple 10w40 and 15w40 have much much more anti wear additives (zinc) than Shell Rotella. Shell Rotella used to be a great oil until they recently changed the stuff and now it has very little zinc and has been modeled for the newer engines. Shell Rotella is still a great oil, It used to be better. Royal Purple is still my first choice. I have about 5 emails from Royal Purple explaining how they don't follow the trend of making oil for the "newer" engines so to speak. They have a great oil that primarily protects against wear. That is why many flat-tappet engine owners aka hot rods, love using Royal Purple.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As a general rule your low viscosity "energy conserving" (look on the back of the bottle) motor oil have less zinc than your non-energy conserving motor oils.
I use Mobil 1 15w-50 Extended Life, guraenteed for 1 year or 15,000 miles, I change it every 5,000.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html
Some light reading.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok Chris, I did some reasearch.
Here is the brake down...zinc is good, most motor oils use less of it, to much of it is bad for your emissions.
Amsoil oils have the most zinc, Mobil 1 Extended Life and all M1 racing oils have the second highest level.
Royal Purple break in oil has a high amount of it as well, could not find on their sight how much or if their other oils have it also.
http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/..._Additives.htm
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...cing_Oil_FAQs1
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1
http://royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
Hope this helps.