Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OM617 into Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
It actually is legal in the us. The motor is no problem. Its the chassis and vin that is newer than 25 years that is not allowed.
We can put whatever motor we want in whatever we want, as long as its not a less than 25 year old foreign market vehicle.

I went with the merc engine because it was cheap.
What I can't figure out RoverMasterTech is the 25+ year logic, why are diesels not allowed unless over 25 years old? What does that gain apart from being forced by government to buy more modern vehicles! What I still don't understand is why more modern diesels, <25 years old, are restricted and for what reason? Maybe I'm being dim but the logic evades me.

The French government have started a campaign for eliminating older diesels from their towns and cities in favour of petrol or newer diesels but they have actively encouraged people to buy diesels for the past 50 years or so and now 95% (guess) of cars are diesel with manual stickshift gearboxes. They are introducing a sliding scale of banned vehicles based upon age in central Paris, for instance, and that includes motorcycles also . The recent smog in Paris is not just caused by diesels it's their lack of foresight in traffic management where everything comes to s standstill due to old and narrow roads and poor public transport infrastructure as is the case in many cities also the French cannot seem to move themselves unless they use their cars.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

TD5 can be brought in separately but not installed in the vehicle. The imported vehicle needs to be as it left the factory really.

Also the Td5 while it will pass most state dmv's is currently not legal for road use yet. Read that as off road use only. For the EPA exemption it needs to be 21 years or older. So 2019ish should see the first legal ones.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 03-22-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

France, it's dumber than you could imagine. Back when American cars were even ****tier that they are now, the auto makers lobbied the government to ban private importation of late mode or new foreign made cars. The limit. It is 25 years. But if ur changing the motor in a car that was imported by the manufacturer, you can put whatever motor you want in it. As long as it's an epa approved motor. Truthfully, 90 percent of our laws are bull**** and my truck breaks pretty much all of them, but we're Americans and don't give a **** and do whatever we want.