Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one serious off-road disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
x3
x4

I don't like Rovers that look like jeeps. Like NiteTrain said, Rock Crawler rigs can't be compared to a Camel trophy/ overlanding/ expedition rigs.

How long would a rock crawler last in those camel trophy events?
How comfortable would you be?
How much gear can they carry?

I would prefer my rover to be very well suited off road and still look classy anywhere it goes. That is the look i'm after.

Last edited by jycsalas; 09-02-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

uh, I like both. We have a good park by the dam at my lakehouse. I took the rover on some mild trails, and it did well. Then I got into a serious rock crawler with a blown 427 and went vertical up a rock face. That was totally awesome. I am haggling on a 96 right now that needs a tranny. I plan on keeping it at the lake as a trail rig, but you may see it like one of these one day.

Camel trophy trucks are stock with HD springs. All LR parts. I have one of those. Now I want something a little more extreme to go along with it.

And my ***** does just fine, Spike....

Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would love to have a rock crawler... they are so much fun... the best thing is like a suzuki samurai stretched with a diesel conversion on coil springs... they are super light and nimble and relatively cheap...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
apples and oranges, one is set up for rock crawling and the other for exploring. I like both kinds of off-roading but prefer exploring, unfortunately the tree huggers are closing down more and more land that we can't explore with our rovers.
Unfortunatley here in MI it's not us tree huggers that are getting the trails closed, it is the jack @ss' with their big modded trucks and Jeep's tearing up the trails, the state has no money to maintain the trails so they just close them.
These guys dont believe in Tread Lightly, they just want to sling mud and make up for their lack of performance in the bedroom.
Trash on the side of the trails, deep ruts...rather than move a fallen tree off of the trail they go around and blaze a new trail.
It sucks because they are ruining it for the rest of us who like to enjoy the out doors with our families.
We dont have big rocks here so a huge lift with 35"s is not needed...unless you have a small *****.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not the case around here. 4x4 owners do not ask for the state's help, they step up to the task and maintain the trails themselves through organizations like the Southern Four wheel drive association. Unfortunately with steep terrain even the most mild off-roading causing some sediment in creeks. Environmentalist groups use this argument to file lawsuits and close public land for off-road use. Many environmental groups do not try and hide the fact that their goal is to stop all off-road vehicles from using any federal or state land.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

GLLRC (Great Lakes Land Rover Club) holds a trail clean up every year, so do other clubs, LR and otherwise.
But it is just to little for the 1,000's of miles of trails here in MI for the clubs to do on their own.
The state grooms the trails, clears fallen trees and mends bridges.
We have pics of a boat laying in the middle of the woods full of trash.
I cant find it right now.