Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only 3 Monitors ready on scan. Failed Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Only 3 Monitors ready on scan. Failed Inspection

Hello,
2003 Disco 2, 121K miles. Failed my New York inspection after replacing battery and 02 sensors. Catalytic converters also new. The OBDB scan says only 3 monitors ready and in New York one needs 4 ready to pass inspection.

I have driven 110 miles since the new parts installation and mechanic says one needs to drive more to reset system. IS THIS TRUE? Also, I disconnected battery after showing 7 monitors ready but code P0455 (gas cap) and after clearing code only had 3 monitors ready. Check Engine Light IS NOT ON. (a rarity).

Opinions would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The monitors run when certain, specific criteria are met. I'm not sure about the Rover, but on my GMC truck, the evap monitor is one of the last to run. The computer needs to see a certain range for the fuel level, speed, engine temp, etc.
The inspection station is correct in what they're telling you. The emissions part of the inspection goes directly to the state. When you clear the codes or disconnect the battery, it resets all of the monitors.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thank you Disco Oh no

Appreciate your reply. I guess when I disconnected battery to clear code I did not drive long enough. Nice to see you have 145k on your Rover as I am also in this Vin range. Luckily my head gasket failed at 70k in the dealer during an oil change under warranty. Hang in there oil pump.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Some monitors need cold to hot cycles too, so if you drove, shut it off then started it back up before it got cold, it would still only see that as one cycle

Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
Hello,
2003 Disco 2, 121K miles. Failed my New York inspection after replacing battery and 02 sensors. Catalytic converters also new. The OBDB scan says only 3 monitors ready and in New York one needs 4 ready to pass inspection.

I have driven 110 miles since the new parts installation and mechanic says one needs to drive more to reset system. IS THIS TRUE? Also, I disconnected battery after showing 7 monitors ready but code P0455 (gas cap) and after clearing code only had 3 monitors ready. Check Engine Light IS NOT ON. (a rarity).

Thanks,
Jeff
Yes you have to complete all the cycles. That usually happens within 50 to 100 miles and turning off the engine several times. Im in NJ. Removing the battery will reset some of the parameters but you still need to complete all those cycles to meet inspection. Even if you have some pending codes, it could pass inspection as long as the code does not trigger the SES light or codes not related to emissions.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Your Oil Pump is fine! If it was going to fail it would have failed 0-25K range. Not a single 03 with that issue ever made it past that. Heck most of the motors that did fail that were caught in time were pulled under warranty, sat in a room, then techs repaired the oil pumps and slapped them into their personal LR's.

Drive her around some more and she'll set the 4 monitors for ya.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
Hello,

Thanks,
Jeff
You are in Manhattan. Take the west side highway, start at 57th and take it all the way up to the dyckman exit. 55mpg the whole ways or as best as traffic would allow. Obviously don't do it during rush hour. When you get off at dyckman, stop and shut down and lock vehicle for about 5 minutes. Drive back down to 57th. Do that about 2-3 times and your moniters should be back up and running. I work in Manhattan as a tech and that's the loop we take.