Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions of spacer lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Opinions of spacer lift

I'm currently exploring options for a 2 inch lift. Is the spacer lift options just as bad on the Land Rover as they are on the 4Runner? 4 Runner's get stiff and ride like a Oregon Trail Wagon.
Truck will likely not see anything more difficult than beach driving or a forest service road. Plan is to run some 265 all terrains. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2022, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Spacer lift shouldn't ride any different, but if you just do the spacer lift remember your OEM coils have certainly sagged and height and ride quality are not what they used to be. I personally run 1inch spacers and a 2inch MD lift to get the height I need but keep a decent ride which you loose with HD springs (especially if you drive around not loaded down).

On any D2 I lift the #1 thing I remove is the front support under the drive shaft. If you flex that suspension out I can guarantee you the drive shaft is going to make contact with that support and possibly cause that drive shaft to fail and take out your transmission housing. If it's removed when you flex you won't hit it, and with it removed if the drive shaft fails it can drop to the ground vs bounce off the support and go directly into your transmission.

If you just plan on looking cool on road then you'd be okay as is, but any off roading where there is suspension flex = support needs to go.

The following 3 users liked this post by Best4x4:
ahab (08-03-2022), JoshD (07-29-2022), The_OGCJR (08-06-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 10:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Spacer lift shouldn't ride any different, but if you just do the spacer lift remember your OEM coils have certainly sagged and height and ride quality are not what they used to be. I personally run 1inch spacers and a 2inch MD lift to get the height I need but keep a decent ride which you loose with HD springs (especially if you drive around not loaded down).

On any D2 I lift the #1 thing I remove is the front support under the drive shaft. If you flex that suspension out I can guarantee you the drive shaft is going to make contact with that support and possibly cause that drive shaft to fail and take out your transmission housing. If it's removed when you flex you won't hit it, and with it removed if the drive shaft fails it can drop to the ground vs bounce off the support and go directly into your transmission.

If you just plan on looking cool on road then you'd be okay as is, but any off roading where there is suspension flex = support needs to go.
This is good to know. Thanks for the response. 2 inch spacer lift is just 110.00 vs. 6-700 for a springs and shocks lift. I will definitely check to see if the front support has been removed or not. I was poking around underneath yesterday clearing the a/c drain lines and tack welding the converter heatshield back on and noticed that the joints on the front shaft have already been swapped out for greasable units so atleast thats done.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

I have run spacers in the rear of all of my D2s, including the ones that get wheeled. I have never had an issue with a lack of suspension travel, and in fact have kept up with some much more seriously built up rigs. This has been mostly a cost saving measure for me, as I can make rear spacers and take a spare set of rear springs for the front, end up with 3" of lift for about $75.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do a spacer lift then you will need to either get longer rear shocks or modify the shock mounting, such as with shock tab extensions, so that your shocks are not topping out. That will lead to very harsh ride. This is not an issue in the front because the spacer will actually move the shock mounting location as well.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (08-06-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I have run spacers in the rear of all of my D2s, including the ones that get wheeled. I have never had an issue with a lack of suspension travel, and in fact have kept up with some much more seriously built up rigs. This has been mostly a cost saving measure for me, as I can make rear spacers and take a spare set of rear springs for the front, end up with 3" of lift for about $75.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do a spacer lift then you will need to either get longer rear shocks or modify the shock mounting, such as with shock tab extensions, so that your shocks are not topping out. That will lead to very harsh ride. This is not an issue in the front because the spacer will actually move the shock mounting location as well.
Awesome input! I didn't even consider the rear shocks. I went ahead and purchased the 2 inch spacer set that was 100 bucks off eBay. I picked up these rear shock extenders. They looked like they would be the most compatible. I will report back if they work or not.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265019741191

Old 07-30-2022, 07:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Will be interested to see if those work for you. I always just cut tabs and weld them in, but I had seen those and wondered if they'd work. I feel like they will.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,134 Likes on 612 Posts

Spacer lift working great / fine on my 2000 with ACE and SLS (rear air suspension)... bought the blue anodized color spacers (1.5") from Britpart.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:06 PM
Mudding

@Best4x4 Is this the front support that needs to be removed? It looks structural. No frame twist issues with removing this? thanks.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

If your frame twist with that removed = you have bigger problems lol. Zero issues on 3 D2's with that removed.

Last edited by Best4x4; 07-31-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:02 PM
Mudding

If your frame twist with that removed = you have bigger problems.lol. Zero issues on 3 D2's with that removed.
10-4. I guess I'm just used to my Landcruiser and 4Runner which have aluminum skidplates from front to back.

Quick Reply: Opinions of spacer lift