Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on tires and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on tires and suspension

Hi. I have a 2002 Disco. 134k miles. I'm in need of new suspension and tires and am seeking opinions. 100% stock. On 255x55x18. How i use it; I live near Portland. Often haul a little trailer < 4000 pound with motorcycles. Often take it on muddy mountain trails... nothing too extreme. Often drive on snow in the mountains. Often drive cross country on the highway.

So, is a lift really worth it from an off-road perspective given I am on sort of medium difficulty trails? Do larger tires really help? I have never been stuck, but would like to try more difficult trails to go further back in the maintains for camping.

I also want good snow traction and good highway driving.

I will be adding a roof rack to carry camping gear etc.

I'm just not sure if I should keep stock tire size and suspension height.

Maybe 2" lift and stock tire for better offroad in the mud?

Maybe larger ties but no lift?

I haven't even figured out mud tire vs AT vs all season tires... lots of compromises.

Another thought, is a lift kind off required to deal with extra weight of roof rack and gear? Or just stronger stock height suspension?

Sorry for so many questions. I appreciate any thoughts.

--- Robert

Old 10-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Robert, welcome!

First, larger tires do help. A lift won't gain you much if anything without larger tires because your axles will still be at the same height. You can fit larger tires without a lift and frankly its a good look for these trucks.

For what you do, an AT tire sounds like a perfect choice. As far as tire brand is concerned, opinions are like a**holes; everybody's got one. That said, I'm gonna throw mine out there. I've had great luck out of the Falken AT3W. I've pulled trailers at 60 in 4" of standing snow on the interstate, I've been through mud up to the bumpers in 2wd with no issue, they seem to do great in heavy rain, and the tread life seems spectacular for the past year/15k miles I've run them. Looking like they're going to break 50k on the 08 Silverado I had them on (no longer my truck). On top of that, you can't beat the price and the road noise is negligible. Way less than BFG All Terrains, barely louder than stock tires which made no noise. Honestly, I can't give them a glowing enough review. I'm about to get a set on my Disco.

Now, you asked about a lift. For what you do, you definitely don't need a lift (or so it sounds). If you're looking to add weight, heavier springs are a good idea. Lifting your truck will make it worse for towing. That said, I'm not sure anyone makes a heavier spring rate in stock height springs. The closest you'll probably get to that are OME springs which will only lift 1.5" and you have different spring rates to choose from. Call up Lucky 8 and talk to them. You can also get a forum member discount on pretty much anything you order from them. Awesome guys that have helped me a ton.

For tire size, if you stay stock your safest bet is a 265/60r18, though I had 265/65r18s and I never dealt with even the slightest scrubbing. That said, I've heard mixed stories between no scrubbing at all and only slight scrubbing.

If you get OME springs or lift, I would recommend the 265/65r18s. For one its a common size being stock on Silverados. For another, it will fill out your wheel wells better, provide you with slightly increased ground clearance at the axles, and are still small enough to not cause any issues towing. I'm still on the 265/65s right now and I towed 6k lbs worth of camper a couple weeks ago without issue.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

If you do any sort of lift and/or bigger tires, it's going to negatively affect towing and highway driving.

My 2 cents, given that you do a lot of highway driving, towing, and don't go rock crawling, you'd be better of keeping stock height and tires... maybe slightly larger All-terrain tires.

a roof rack and some gear shouldn't warrant the need for heavier duty springs.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

If you do a lift go 3". You won't regret it, more tire and bumper options available down the road. Also, I tow with mine (3" RTE coils) with zero issues. These trucks are crappy haulers anyway. Can't really do much to make it worse.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I suggest that you be realistic and modest with your expectations and therefore your purchasing.

case in point. I have a two inch lift, with OLD MAN EMU coils, terrafirma shocks, and only 235/85r16 tires. That's 32"x9.5" tire. My vehicle gets about the same mileage it did with the factory tires (255/55r18) and it performs very well in mud.

With 3" of lift, you will typically experience poor handling and will quickly get fed up with the "shopping cart" effect. Not to mention the likelihood of cross member interference with the front driveshaft and watts-link in the rear. Add the need for longer brake lines and ABS sensors and you quickly realize that maybe you don't really need that 3" lift and can do more than you ever imagined with 2.

​​​

Old 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, a word on tires. Mud tires wear out fast on the street. If you don't actively seek out sloppy mud pits very often, then they are a waste of money for you.

Modern all terrains have gotten very good in most situations and its very hard to beat the good old BFG A/T's, KO2 is the current model. Falken also makes a very good tire with similar characteristics to the BFG.

On size, don't go to big. Super wide tires are in vogue at the moment but most people go with something far to wide than is practical. In your case, unless you just really like the look for super fat tires and don't mind throwing money down the drain, you shouldn't need anything wider than a 255. Most of your traction is the result of added diameter, and the lengthening of the contact patch with the ground. Adding width (while keeping the same diameter) increases the size of the Contact patch slightly, but also makes the tire "float" over uneven terrain, whereas the skinny tire will conform. Airing down the tire will change this equation but that's another matter.

Until you get into very large tires 35" and larger, and 13" and wider, you will see much more benefit from a properly chosen design, than just shoving the fattest tire possible into the wheel well.

​​​​

​​​

Old 10-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Gotta agree with Koop. I would NOT recommend 3" of lift with your uses and the skinnier the tire the better, largely. I think restricting to 255 is a little tight, but that sorta comes down to individual opinion.

To be honest, even the stiffer rate springs may not be necessary depending on how much load you intend to carry. You very well may be perfectly fine with a new set of factory coils and shocks.

I can confirm the "shopping cart effect" with 3-plus inches of lift. The steering because of the different castor angle gets kinda... weird. Not necessarily bad; increased castor actually increases cornering ability, but it makes it twitchy and it won't return to center any more. I also had to put spacers for my crossmember and my watts link is maxxed out (and soon to be replaced with panhard, whenever I get the motivation up), though I did not need longer brake lines or ABS sensors. They were maxxed out though.

How have you liked the TF shocks, Koop? My 148k mile factory shocks are shot, but I've heard mixed reviews about the TF shocks.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Gotta agree with Koop. I would NOT recommend 3" of lift with your uses and the skinnier the tire the better, largely. I think restricting to 255 is a little tight, but that sorta comes down to individual opinion.

To be honest, even the stiffer rate springs may not be necessary depending on how much load you intend to carry. You very well may be perfectly fine with a new set of factory coils and shocks.

I can confirm the "shopping cart effect" with 3-plus inches of lift. The steering because of the different castor angle gets kinda... weird. Not necessarily bad; increased castor actually increases cornering ability, but it makes it twitchy and it won't return to center any more. I also had to put spacers for my crossmember and my watts link is maxxed out (and soon to be replaced with panhard, whenever I get the motivation up), though I did not need longer brake lines or ABS sensors. They were maxxed out though.

How have you liked the TF shocks, Koop? My 148k mile factory shocks are shot, but I've heard mixed reviews about the TF shocks.
Personally I don't consider anything over 255 to be a skinny tire anymore. 265 is getting meaty imo. But you are right, this opinion is subjective.

I like the TF's so far. I've got the +3 adjustables. I originally ordered the Fox +2's from lucky8 but they told me they were backorder for months and assured me that TF's latest production was far superior to their earlier crap. I'm not confident that the paint will hold up but so far so good with ride quality and durability.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here's a great example. I just left the gym via a mucky field. I was parked in mud up to the line on my tire. I drove across the field barely over idle, with no traction control. I had to articulate over a rather steep but narrow Gulley and spun the tires a bit, but never bogged or slipped to a stop. Tires just dug a little trench, and clawed their way across what I learned was a far muddier field of grass than I had anticipated.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Good to know on the shocks. Also I'm perpetually jealous of your wheels. Love the look of them on your D2.

I'd agree about the width on 16s, but its hard to get anything skinnier than a 265 for the 18s that OP has, atleast for the same price because of how common the 265/65 is.

Sadly, to go to 33s in the Falkens I'm going to be forced into a 285. I did not want to go to a 12" tire, but they don't make a smaller width in 33" height for 16" rims. Oh well, I guess.

Quick Reply: Opinions on tires and suspension