Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of importance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Order of importance

So now that I have my cooling system issues resolved (I hope) I'm starting to plan out where I go from here. Next weekend I'm changing the oil, transmission fluid, transfer box, and differential fluids out. I know that's a must, unsure other than oil when those were last done. I have some other things planned that I'm wondering what the consensus order of importance would be. In no particular order here they are:
  1. Sort out SAI codes (p1412 & p1415).
  2. Sort our three amigos codes. They come on and off randomly. Were on today, filled up the tank with gas, haven't come back on. The previous owner said this would happen every tank. Code indicates shuttle valve.
  3. Sort out oil leaks. Thinking valve cover and potentially oil pan gasket or oil seal. Haven't looked too hard at this yet as it is a minor leak.
  4. Replace front driveshaft. The U-Joints were replaced at ~130k miles but not the entire shaft.
  5. Sort out sunroof leaks. Keeping a tarp on it, for now, know it isn't a big deal, but it's tacky as hell.
  6. Deal with some bubble rust around sunroofs and in door frames.
  7. Put rust prevention paints/sprays/whatever on the chassis to prevent rust, remove current surface rust with a wire brush. (This is primarily a beach vehicle for me so this feels like a must-do in the next 6 months.
  8. Something I hadn't thought of that you good people recommend.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:46 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Ultraguage
in-line thermostat
pcv mod
Hyundai fuel purge valve

Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Diff and transfer case factory fluids are full synthetics, no need to ever replace. but I know some people like to do it.

#3 will be gone once you do PCV mod.

#4 - u joints are all that wear out. If they have been replaced that shaft is good. You can get a spare if you like.

#5. Pull the headliner, drive it for three weeks like that. Look at my post on sunroofs.

#7 Look at rust reformer and fluid film.

These links will will open old threads, scroll down to my list post.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...44/#post723598

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e3/#post674154

Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Extinct, I've heard about the PCV Mod but I've not been able to locate anything on it. Where might I find some info?

By the way, I installed your Inline Thermostat, nice kit. Thanks for making it available to us.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Justice Bikes
So Extinct, I've heard about the PCV Mod but I've not been able to locate anything on it. Where might I find some info?

By the way, I installed your Inline Thermostat, nice kit. Thanks for making it available to us.
PCV mod is the third sticky, top of the forum.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct

#4 - u joints are all that wear out. If they have been replaced that shaft is good. You can get a spare if you like.
Don't forget the centering ball in the dc joint! Mine was getting crispy when I rebuilt my front shaft. Hopefully it was replaced and lubed when the uj's were done.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:23 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Extinct, found it.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Ultraguage
in-line thermostat
pcv mod
Hyundai fuel purge valve
Have an ultra gauge, love it. Did the inline thermostat mod when I did the cooling system, also love it. Have looked at PCV mod and have read about the fuel purge valve, but need to read more.

Originally Posted by Extinct
Diff and transfer case factory fluids are full synthetics, no need to ever replace. but I know some people like to do it.

#3 will be gone once you do PCV mod.

#5. Pull the headliner, drive it for three weeks like that. Look at my post on sunroofs.

#7 Look at rust reformer and fluid film.

These links will will open old threads, scroll down to my list post.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...44/#post723598

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e3/#post674154
Thanks for the links. I'll be checking them ASAP. I didn't realize the differentials and transfer case didn't need to be changed. Reading through a lot of "I just got a new Disco" etc posts I saw commented often to change those fluids. I may still do it, I don't think they were ever locked or even put into low gear before I test drove it.

Originally Posted by wjsj69
Don't forget the centering ball in the dc joint! Mine was getting crispy when I rebuilt my front shaft. Hopefully it was replaced and lubed when the uj's were done.
Hard to say what exactly was done, but I'll look into it.