Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII

Hi all,

Today I ordered a Turner Engine for my new to me 2004 DII. I am having a shop here in the Bay Area (Exclusive British European) install the engine. Just thought I would create a thread to share experiences.

I ordered the 4.6 SAI engine with the upgraded cams and heads as well as the complete front cover. I am thinking that the more complete it comes from them, the less opportunity for me to mess it up.

Working with both Turner and the Exclusive British European has been great. Frida at Turner and Nick at EBE were both enthusiastic and friendly and I look forward towards getting a new engine in this truck and many enjoyable miles to come.

I will try and document the process and post some pictures along the way for others in the future who are thinking about doing the same thing.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Awesome!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

How much are they charging for the installation?

Best of luck!!! Looking forward to your thread.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

That's great! I spoke with Frida a couple of weeks ago and she was very helpful. I'm just in the initial stages of requesting quotes so please forgive me if this is a naïve question, but did you ask for the complete front cover when requesting a quote? I asked for a quote for a long block and received the following. I do not have SAI. I would also be having a local shop in town install it ($1800+).

Thanks - it will be good to follow your thread

Christina

Attached Thumbnails Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII-turner.jpg  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dave03S
How much are they charging for the installation?

Best of luck!!! Looking forward to your thread.
I was given an estimate of around 12K that includes parts and labor, but that was when we were considering going with Atlantic British. This including shipping and no core charge is around the same price so it stands to reason that the total parts and labor excluding the long engine itself is around 5k. I think if you just wanted a motor swap it could be a lot less, but I spoke with the EBE about wanting to replace as much as possible to do more of a restoration as possible while the engine is out.

In short, if anyone is considering EBE, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
That's great! I spoke with Frida a couple of weeks ago and she was very helpful. I'm just in the initial stages of requesting quotes so please forgive me if this is a naïve question, but did you ask for the complete front cover when requesting a quote? I asked for a quote for a long block and received the following. I do not have SAI. I would also be having a local shop in town install it ($1800+).

Thanks - it will be good to follow your thread

Christina
I did specifically ask for the front cover as well and additionally the water pump.

1 LJR00220 front cover assembly inc oil pump

1 STC 4378 water pump

These items were included on my estimate in addition*to the ones that are on your screenshot.

This is kinda cool, we can go through this together and help each other out if need be!

Thanks for replying.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
I did specifically ask for the front cover as well and additionally the water pump.

1 LJR00220 front cover assembly inc oil pump

1 STC 4378 water pump

These items were included on my estimate in addition*to the ones that are on your screenshot.

This is kinda cool, we can go through this together and help each other out if need be!

Thanks for replying.
thanks! You're a few steps in front of me haha but I'll gladly have someone hold my hand as I cross the road Thanks for clarifying that I need to request the additional parts. Definitely don't want to use the old parts and probably a good idea to have it done up as well as possible the first time around.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Did Turner give an idea how much torque or horse power there engine would give with the cam and better heads?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Fastercat
Did Turner give an idea how much torque or horse power there engine would give with the cam and better heads?
No, not specifically but here are a few quotes from their website.

Regarding heads:

"It is extremely difficult to predict specific improvements to individual vehicles due to varying operating conditions, condition of ancillaries, the condition of the cylinder head displaced and the time and effort put into installation and setup. However based on some 30 years experience with this type of product and not wishing to mislead our potential customers with exaggerated claims, it is realistic to expect performance improvements in the region of 10 to 30%. In simple terms the engine will act bigger and will be more responsive to the throttle."

Regarding cams:
"With a duration of 262º and a valve lift of 11.2mm the H180 camshaft improves low end torque and is capable of increasing peak power by 22bhp...:"

So if we add it all up, lets say 15hp + 15% gain from the heads, we are up around 40 HP from stock? Just a guess but seems about right. Should be noticeable.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
No, not specifically but here are a few quotes from their website.

Regarding heads:

"It is extremely difficult to predict specific improvements to individual vehicles due to varying operating conditions, condition of ancillaries, the condition of the cylinder head displaced and the time and effort put into installation and setup. However based on some 30 years experience with this type of product and not wishing to mislead our potential customers with exaggerated claims, it is realistic to expect performance improvements in the region of 10 to 30%. In simple terms the engine will act bigger and will be more responsive to the throttle."

Regarding cams:
"With a duration of 262º and a valve lift of 11.2mm the H180 camshaft improves low end torque and is capable of increasing peak power by 22bhp...:"

So if we add it all up, lets say 15hp + 15% gain from the heads, we are up around 40 HP from stock? Just a guess but seems about right. Should be noticeable.
Just the Cam makes a huge difference. Maybe they can port match your manifolds to the head, or put in some P38 or other headers. Got enough in your budget to customize the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII