Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Other 2 Adjustment Studs on an Adwest Steering Box...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Other 2 Adjustment Studs on an Adwest Steering Box...

Hey everyone, I would first like to say how much I appreciate this forum existing as it has helped me tremendously over the last year of owning my first D2. I have always been an exclusive VW owner but grabbed my first Disco last summer to cart my pups around on weekend trips. Have over all ran great except some misfire issues that arose about 2 months ago but I think I’ve sorted that out (rebuilt injectors, new plugs, new wires, new coils and new upstream O2’s). As I’ve been able to sort all this but just observing this forum and other forms of reference, my current struggles have came up empty handed without soliciting help so here I am....

Following my gf getting into an accident with my more Disco I was forced to repair the front driver side body work from the impact (new fender, new door, straighten the under structure, fix a broken tab on the headlight) but what I did not discovery until getting an alignment due to the driver side wheel being impacted during the accident was a lot of play in the steering wheel. I thought it was odd the very capable shop I brought it to for the alignment did not try addressing it but I decided I was more then capable of figuring it out so I didn’t prod too much.

Jumping on this forum and watching some YouTube videos led me to discovering the adjustment screw on the steering box that everyone advised would take the slope out so I ran out to the garage and found what I thought was the adjustment screw on the Steering box and as advised incrementally turned it then jumped out to witness how much play was taken out. After more then a handful of incremental turns and no change in the slope I started to question if I was doing it right or if the box was damaged internally. I tightened that bolt/nut then realized there was an identical one on the other side. Like an idiot I attempted to adjust that and again noticed no change in the slope.

Fast-forward to this afternoon as I continued to do research on how much a replacement box was or how to rebuilt I found a write up that showed a more panned out photo of someone adjusting the box... the bolt was on the top, not the sides like that ones I had adjusted. When I got home I then identified that correct nut and attempted to adjust... the slope began to come out and was eventually gone. I tightened it and then started the vehicle to test lock-to-lock... it was very lumpy and obviously something was definitely not right. After some trial and error but trying to adjust the nuts on the side adjusters and loosening the top “correct” adjuster I got it to where it was and improvement from original but still had a sticking point that seems off.

after that long story my question to you all is what are those to side adjusters I originally messed with and how to I correctly adjust them to where they should be? I’ve looked ya diagrams and photos everywhere but all the boxes I’ve seen do not have these and it’s kind of blowing my mind. I have included some photos below so any help you guys could give on helping me figure this out so I can get her back on the road and enjoy her would be great. Thanks in advance!

Custom by gf

Better then new

Adjust on side facing front of vehicle

Adjuster on side facing rear of vehicle

Part number plaque

Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Found out by looking through the RAVE that they adjust the relief valve stops, anyone have experience on how to properly adjust these? Since the steering is still a little clunk I'll try to back off the adjuster a little bit more but if that doesn't fix it any other ideas of what could cause it? My only thought is internal damage to the box from the accident but I'm really hoping that's not the case. Thanks in advance.