Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Stopped at Auto place on the way home for lunch and took pictures of all the codes before I deleted them. Yes, they let me delete them. I told them its a Land Rover, so I will be back tomorrow with more codes.
Hahahahaha! That is so priceless!

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Here is video two with flammable brake parts cleaner. I mention in the video about that vacuum line left of the master cylinder. I wonder if that line if fron the conversion from air suspension to coil springs?
Discovery Vacuum leak 2nd attempt - YouTube
Hahaha I heard my name!

Okay I didn't see you spray between the alternator and air conditioner compressor at the plenum gasket. This picture is sideways and I'm too dumb to figure out how to turn it but the arrow points to a dark line that is actually the plenum gasket. If you spray there and around the sides of it you will have hit everything.

The tube you put your finger on..
Mine looks the same. I think that is a vent tube. I can check when it is lighter.

I didn't hear any change in your engine from the spraying.

Try that last spot and if there is no change then the only other place you could have a vacuum leak is on the injector o rings... that I know of, anyway. They are under the upper intake. The o rings get a brittle and can actually be ruined just putting them in because it is a tight fit. Most people put a little Vaseline on new ones.

Good choice of flammable brake cleaner!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-17-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Camel Trophy

The little cap I mentioned for the smoke test is right under those two lines. You can barely see it. It will pull off easily when the engine is off. You put a hose in there and pump smoke in with the engine off.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 PM
Camel Trophy

so I did the spark test tonight. Live the spark did really not show any different
On video some look pretty erratic(I think). I went from front to back starting with 1 3 5 7 then 2 4 6 8. Scanner recorded mis fires with 5 2 6 8.
Please share your thoughts. She seems to be running better since I filler her up with fresh Premium fuel (93 Octane). Still not great unless she is cold. Then she is much smoother.
The video
Spark test Disco2 - YouTube

It does look erratic. Maybe someone who has videoed it before can chime in.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Camel Trophy

I couldn't hear what you said about the expansion rank. The engine was too loud. Was the coolant low?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:09 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Hahaha I heard my name!

Okay I didn't see you spray between the alternator and air conditioner compressor at the plenum gasket. This picture is sideways and I'm too dumb to figure out how to turn it but the arrow points to a dark line that is actually the plenum gasket. If you spray there and around the sides of it you will have hit everything.

The tube you put your finger on..
Mine looks the same. I think that is a vent tube. I can check when it is lighter.

I didn't hear any change in your engine from the spraying.

Try that last spot and if there is no change then the only other place you could have a vacuum leak is on the injector o rings... that I know of, anyway. They are under the upper intake. The o rings get a brittle and can actually be ruined just putting them in because it is a tight fit. Most people put a little Vaseline on new ones.

Good choice of flammable brake cleaner!
I did spray that spot. The point where I'm showing the pass side of the motor and you see the mist of spray is when I did it.
The spark test looked good?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I couldn't hear what you said about the expansion rank. The engine was too loud. Was the coolant low?
No I was commenting on the fact that I did not see any bubbling in the coolant overflow. I think you had mentioned earlier that was a sign of a blown headgasket sign.

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 03-18-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You are getting most your misfires on the left bank (bank 2) according to your codes and your are getting a code for a dead upstream 02 on that bank, first thing I would do before going any further is investigate that, its either the wiring or the sensor. During first startup the truck is in open loop and no 02 sensor input is used until it warms up, so its failure is consistent with your experience.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to be clear Bank 2 is the passenger side bank, left as you face the engine

Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Two Rock
You are getting most your misfires on the left bank (bank 2) according to your codes and your are getting a code for a dead upstream 02 on that bank, first thing I would do before going any further is investigate that, its either the wiring or the sensor. During first startup the truck is in open loop and no 02 sensor input is used until it warms up, so its failure is consistent with your experience.
Is upstream = before the CAT? and yes 3 misfires on that side.
That would be the one right by the valve cover leak. The connector (I have not disconnected yet) did look pretty dirty. I did spray the outside of it with the MAF cleaner but not more than that. I will do a search here to find how to test the O'2 sensor beyond just unplugging it and cleaning it.
I thought O2's sensors didn't cause misfires?

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII