Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

wires all changed and...SES light!
Same three codes mis on 5 & 6 and multiple misfires. I did change the plugs (they are new also) with the cylinder next to it and got the same codes too before I changed the wires out. I don't get it(how many times have you said that?). I saw sparks off of both wires when I misted them and it runs so smooth now at idle. However, sometimes it gets a little ruff then the SES came on. Being an intermittent idle issue I'm not sure what to test next.

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 05-01-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
When I pulled off the wires I laid flat on my stomach on top of the engine with an old camping sleeping pad as a cushion. Uncomfortable but it worked. I also snapped off both the brake booster vac line and the crankcase ventilation fitting where they connect to the upper intake. I recommend you disconnect both before lying on top of them.
I had my wife laid atop doing the same thing. Crack. Crack.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Winching

Todays update, I replaced both heater hoses and the upper rad hoses. I flushed the system then sucked out the remaining water with my shop vac. I like that idea by the way. No more dexcool. Followed the RAVE on refiling. My question, I know some still have air in the system when that have followed the directions to a T, how long before you know you have air? I drove it a couple of times this morning and no indication of overheating. I am paranoid, Would It have showed by now? I have run it with the heat on for about 10 minutes as well.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Todays update, I replaced both heater hoses and the upper rad hoses. I flushed the system then sucked out the remaining water with my shop vac. I like that idea by the way. No more dexcool. Followed the RAVE on refiling. My question, I know some still have air in the system when that have followed the directions to a T, how long before you know you have air? I drove it a couple of times this morning and no indication of overheating. I am paranoid, Would It have showed by now? I have run it with the heat on for about 10 minutes as well.

After it sits overnight and everything cools all of the way down, the system will usually try to purge itself of air then (always successful in my case) and that's when you will notice the level in the overflow tank has dropped a bit when you look it over the following morning. That's when you top-off and it will be fine the next time that you drive it, but after it cools down that second time, it will probably have burped and displaced air again, at which point you add again. You just have to check the level for the first few days.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by chubbs878
After it sits overnight and everything cools all of the way down, the system will usually try to purge itself of air then (always successful in my case) and that's when you will notice the level in the overflow tank has dropped a bit when you look it over the following morning. That's when you top-off and it will be fine the next time that you drive it, but after it cools down that second time, it will probably have burped and displaced air again, at which point you add again. You just have to check the level for the first few days.
That's exactly what's happening

Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

You can also hear coolant slosh in the heater core when you are driving (or a waterfall sound) if you have air in it. In fact, after you fill and are sure you have all air out, if you ever hear that sound it is a major warning sign.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
You can also hear coolant slosh in the heater core when you are driving (or a waterfall sound) if you have air in it. In fact, after you fill and are sure you have all air out, if you ever hear that sound it is a major warning sign.
I dont have the waterfall either. I know my chase is nothing like yours Charlie but man, to get some stuff done and not break anything was huge for me yesterday.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Winching

Oh and for the heck of it I reached above the TC and I have that nipple thingy that = CDL!

Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Winching

I made a video of a what I thought was more of a clanking noise but now I dont think its a clank. Only on a cold start up and quickly goes away. More on the passenger side and almost back of the motor. Like an exhaust related noise.
Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Oh and for the heck of it I reached above the TC and I have that nipple thingy that = CDL!
That's real nice. When you get everything else sorted out you will spend hours trying to figure out how to activate it. And use it. Haha. Same here.

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII